Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:16 AM

58 posts, read 84,718 times

Advertisements

I saw a potential opening for a creative position for the city. Their application is a pain. Amongst the questions, they want to know in the last 7 years what kind of ticket or citation I received, dates and points? My first ticket I was caught speeding because I was trying to pass a car. That was dissolved as a contact in the police department hooked me up. Then in February I was busted for speeding again for passing a vehicle. All I had to do was pay for the cost of the registration as I couldn't find it. I payed that. But what does that got to do with the job itself? Smh...always something to complicate the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
They are looking for a pattern showing a lack of personal responsibility. There are also insurability issues if there is a chance you will ever need to operate a fleet vehicle.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:36 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
If the city ever requires you to drive a municipal vehicle they will want to know your driving history as they may be unable to insure you. Furthermore many companies will want to know your "criminal history" to determine if you have any issues (financial or otherwise) that could be detrimental to your employment with the company. My current company requires us to notify security if we think a co-worker has fallen on hard times such as excessive debt, etc....

Old 05-13-2014, 01:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
They are looking for a pattern showing a lack of personal responsibility. There are also insurability issues if there is a chance you will ever need to operate a fleet vehicle.

Exactly. And by the OP's own admission they show that pattern.

Most people would be thankful that a police dept contact got rid of the first ticket for speeding and passing a vehicle, and learn form it.

She did the same exact thing again.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:15 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
They are looking for law-abiding people, who exhibit personal responsibility and the ability to learn from their mistakes.
Sorry, OP... that's not you!

Old 05-13-2014, 02:16 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Wow. Somebody's a little too nosy. Do you really want to work for someone like that?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
They are looking for law-abiding people...

...or at least people who don't get caught!

Old 05-13-2014, 02:21 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon_Chic View Post
I saw a potential opening for a creative position for the city. Their application is a pain. Amongst the questions, they want to know in the last 7 years what kind of ticket or citation I received, dates and points? My first ticket I was caught speeding because I was trying to pass a car. That was dissolved as a contact in the police department hooked me up. Then in February I was busted for speeding again for passing a vehicle. All I had to do was pay for the cost of the registration as I couldn't find it. I payed that. But what does that got to do with the job itself? Smh...always something to complicate the process.
smh. some people just don't know how to conduct themselves.

Often comes back to bite them in the A during a job application.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:25 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
If the city ever requires you to drive a municipal vehicle they will want to know your driving history as they may be unable to insure you. Furthermore many companies will want to know your "criminal history" to determine if you have any issues (financial or otherwise) that could be detrimental to your employment with the company. My current company requires us to notify security if we think a co-worker has fallen on hard times such as excessive debt, etc....
Simple speeding tickets do not go to criminal court. In some states like Virginia, reckless driving is a misdemeanor and would need to be disclosed, but in other states, this would be handled in traffic court. I understand the need if you are going to be driving a company vehicle.

Why would you need to "contact security" if someone has "fallen on hard times?" Is excessive debt in one's personal life really cause to get security personnel involved? Ridiculous.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:13 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Insurance companies ask about driving history when people apply for life insurance too. Today people need to keep it clean yes even and especially on Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search