Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,437 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some feedback!

I interviewed for a job in higher education after a very long and extensive application process that included an online application and two Skype interviews. I interviewed on a Friday two weeks ago. I was told at the end of the interview that I would hear from them "next week". Overall, I think the interview went really well, and I felt it was one of the best interviews I've done. I was told it was down to me and one other candidate - another external person.

I did not hear anything back that next week, so I decided to e-mail the Tuesday after (at this point it had been 10 days), and I received a quick response along the lines of "so sorry for the delay, we hope to get back with you at the end of this week". Later that afternoon, I heard from two of my references that they had been called, and that the conversations had gone really well - glowing reviews! One of them mentioned that the rep from the university calling had made some sort of reference to them calling both of "their references", meaning that she may had been calling references of two candidates. I completely understand that a reference being call does NOT mean I am their choice candidate.

I now am a week out since they called my references, and about 2.5 weeks from my original interview. I'm getting very antsy - I just really want to know. I may or may have not found out who the other candidate was/is, so that is not really helping the situation.

Thoughts? Am I just being too impatient? What could be the holdup (HR, budget, search committee)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 03:23 PM

836 posts, read 1,031,850 times
Hi travis06,

I remember in college May was a pretty busy time- graduation/commencement, final papers, professors have to have everything graded by a certain time so students will know if they have enough credits to graduate, etc. I feel like this time is just really busy for universities.

I would say not to panic. Since it was just you and 1 other candidate being considered for the position, and since it was a lengthy interview I'm sure they would have the decency to send you an email letting you know the news (whether pleasant or otherwise). I would never put all of your eggs in one basket, so if you can apply elsewhere just in case, I would recommend that.

Don't stress though- I'm sure they just have a lot going on right now. Good luck though!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,437 times
Thanks for the thoughts!

This job is the only one I am looking at the moment. I'm satisfied somewhat where I am employed now, but the opportunity would be a fantastic step.

For anyone who works in higher education, do you have thoughts? Maybe about what could be causing a delay?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
The last time I checked when they contact your references they are preparing to extend you an offer.

Just remain patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search