Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 03:44 PM

66 posts, read 167,881 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think?

Let's say you send in an application, resume and cover letter to a company for a specific position.

A couple of weeks later, another *very* similar position within that company pops up that you would like as well - you would take either of them.

Do you send a completely new application, cover letter and resume?

Keep the application and resume the same, change the cover letter and send all three?

Tell them they've already got your materials on file and you would like to be considered for this other position as well?

Etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 03:52 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,163,381 times
Absolutely fine to reword the resume and cover letter to focus your skills and experience that align to the new job. Just make sure both the resumes don't contradict your skills.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:22 PM

80 posts, read 128,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action100 View Post
What do you guys think?

Let's say you send in an application, resume and cover letter to a company for a specific position.

A couple of weeks later, another *very* similar position within that company pops up that you would like as well - you would take either of them.

Do you send a completely new application, cover letter and resume?

Keep the application and resume the same, change the cover letter and send all three?

Tell them they've already got your materials on file and you would like to be considered for this other position as well?

Etc?
I was wondering the same thing but the only difference is I've already interviewed for the first position about 3 weeks ago. I haven't heard back yet but the status online says interviewing. The other position that's posted is a more Sr level position of the one that I interviewed for.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:43 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,055,901 times
Did you complete a phone screen or interview? If not, I would apply for the other positions. Three weeks is a long enough period to review your resume and contact you. You are probably out of the running at this point.

I had a friend recently apply for both jobs, but the applications were only a few days apart. A much higher paying position was posted later. Both hiring managers interviewed and wanted to hire him. He wanted the 2nd position. The first manager cried foul, because company rules give hiring rights to the first position, if more than 1 manager wants to hire a candidate.

He was so sick of the situation, that he rejected the 1st offer. He still could not be hired for the 2nd offer, since the first hiring manager made the offer.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:52 AM

34,809 posts, read 30,852,651 times
I would use the same resume, just alter the keywords and CL to more closely match the new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search