Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:42 PM

41 posts, read 103,880 times

Advertisements

Ahh ok... so this is one more hurdle the unemployed must go through. I wonder if it would be out of line to ask if they are considering any internal candidates just so I have an idea that my chances are lower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:02 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBound View Post
Ahh ok... so this is one more hurdle the unemployed must go through. I wonder if it would be out of line to ask if they are considering any internal candidates just so I have an idea that my chances are lower?
Well, yes.

My last experience with a headhunter ended with a similar experience as yours.

Except that I had accepted an offer AND signed my W-4. I-9, BG check, 401(k) contribution, health care provider sign up, EVERYTHING.

Two working days before my start date......diphead calls to inform me that they did, in fact, fill the position internally.

I won't complain about the three days of my life that were totally wasted....but I will tell you about the biggest nightmare of all......

I had put in a two week notice and was getting ready for the big send off at the bar the following day.

That headhunter and that employer did NOT give a flying fudge about my predicament.

That second interview is very important, especially when talking to the hiring manager. This is the time to figure what they're all about. Ifya can, try to do that during the first step.....it'll save you a lot of time & hassle.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:16 PM

41 posts, read 103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Well, yes.

My last experience with a headhunter ended with a similar experience as yours.

Except that I had accepted an offer AND signed my W-4. I-9, BG check, 401(k) contribution, health care provider sign up, EVERYTHING.

Two working days before my start date......diphead calls to inform me that they did, in fact, fill the position internally.

I won't complain about the three days of my life that were totally wasted....but I will tell you about the biggest nightmare of all......

I had put in a two week notice and was getting ready for the big send off at the bar the following day.

That headhunter and that employer did NOT give a flying fudge about my predicament.

That second interview is very important, especially when talking to the hiring manager. This is the time to figure what they're all about. Ifya can, try to do that during the first step.....it'll save you a lot of time & hassle.
WOW WOW WOW. Was that even legal Yaz given they made you THINK you had the job and then backed out?? Were you able to salvage your other job?

Old 05-21-2014, 02:27 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBound View Post
WOW WOW WOW. Was that even legal Yaz given they made you THINK you had the job and then backed out?? Were you able to salvage your other job?
No recourse at all. I could've worked there for half a day and they could've chit canned me.

Not a thing you can do.

RE my current employer at the time....

I slept on it and considered rescinding my resignation, but I looked long and hard at the reasons that I was seeking employment elsewhere.

I decided to remain on my own.

Skipped the going away party and got drunk by myself that Friday night (well deserved).

Ended up calling an old boss and he hired me over the phone the following Monday.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Had that happen more than once. Often Its a justification to bring in an internal candidate. But recently HR said they were bringing in 5 candidates and they liked another guy better. They just wanted to see all 5.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:33 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
I think it's probably gone on for a long time. But, now, it's more prevalent becaust they simply have more than one person applying for each job. In the past, perhaps when times were better, they got one qualified otherwise applicant, and that was it. I am sure that was my case in a couple positions I took. I was simply the only qualified candidate, even if only remotely so.

But FYI to any hr folks reading here....You probably shouldn't "let it slip" to a candidate you know you aren't going to hire, that you have someone else in mind already. It's just a courtesy that many of you seem to lack.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:46 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I think it's probably gone on for a long time. But, now, it's more prevalent becaust they simply have more than one person applying for each job. In the past, perhaps when times were better, they got one qualified otherwise applicant, and that was it. I am sure that was my case in a couple positions I took. I was simply the only qualified candidate, even if only remotely so.

But FYI to any hr folks reading here....You probably shouldn't "let it slip" to a candidate you know you aren't going to hire, that you have someone else in mind already. It's just a courtesy that many of you seem to lack.
I sometimes wonder if HR is even in on the "hiring loop."

Old 05-21-2014, 02:50 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Had that happen more than once. Often Its a justification to bring in an internal candidate. But recently HR said they were bringing in 5 candidates and they liked another guy better. They just wanted to see all 5.
Mind boggling, as I know what a hassle it is to schedule an interview while you already have a job. Thanks for helping me burn that extra vacation time, HR.

Not to mention the unemployed who could've been spending their time in a more productive manner.....such as.....interviewing with folks that were actually interested in your skills.....

You've been there.....you know.....

Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
No recourse at all. I could've worked there for half a day and they could've chit canned me.

Not a thing you can do.

RE my current employer at the time....

I slept on it and considered rescinding my resignation, but I looked long and hard at the reasons that I was seeking employment elsewhere.

I decided to remain on my own.

Skipped the going away party and got drunk by myself that Friday night (well deserved).

Ended up calling an old boss and he hired me over the phone the following Monday.
In situations where an employer pulls the offer, you actually do have some recourse, depending on your locale.

A good employment lawyer would argue promissory estoppel or detrimental reliance. In some places this trumps at-will laws, since you haven't started the job yet.

How it works:

• Someone (the "promisor") made a representation of fact which it could reasonably expect the other party to rely upon, that is, one party made a promise
  • The other person (the "promisee") did in fact rely upon the representation or promise
  • The promisee suffers a detriment or injury as a result of that reliance

Old 05-21-2014, 04:26 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
In situations where an employer pulls the offer, you actually do have some recourse, depending on your locale.

A good employment lawyer would argue promissory estoppel or detrimental reliance. In some places this trumps at-will laws, since you haven't started the job yet.

How it works:

• Someone (the "promisor") made a representation of fact which it could reasonably expect the other party to rely upon, that is, one party made a promise
  • The other person (the "promisee") did in fact rely upon the representation or promise
  • The promisee suffers a detriment or injury as a result of that reliance
Yeah, lawyers need to work too.

I pondered civil action for a day or two then moved on with my life.

Wondering how much one could possibly get in litigation?

Not much of nuthin' leaves nuthin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search