Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 05:12 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,311,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Yeah, lawyers need to work too.

I pondered civil action for a day or two then moved on with my life.

Wondering how much one could possibly get in litigation?

Not much of nuthin' leaves nuthin'.
Well, it depends. For example, if you break leases, you can get the money for that. Probably how much you get depends on your lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 06:21 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Well, it depends. For example, if you break leases, you can get the money for that. Probably how much you get depends on your lawyer.
For a lawyer to take that it would have to be an obscene amount of cash. Think about it. 30% for them at least.

Face it.

While interviewing, it's a caveat emptor kind of thing.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We can promote an internal candidate as long as there are 2 or more others to interview. If not, we have to open it up to the public. I would hire an outside person over internal if they were better, but many companies do otherwise to save time on learning the corporate policies, culture etc. It's difficult for the person that ends up being rejected for an internal candidate when you feel like a "token" interviewee, but that is nothing new. It happened to me when I was starting out in the late 70s. The Microsoft story is also typical for them. They try to exhaust all possibilities before hiring to maximize the chances of getting the best person. Had you gone, you would have had a shot, if you were a better candidate than the one they were considering. Only you know whether it's worth the cost and time to travel based on the potential reward.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:20 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBound View Post
This is something I have recently gone through and I believe this proves that it really is an employers market.

I recently had an interview at a renewable energy company just up the street from where I am working now.

The interview was your typical behavioral question interrogation. One of the gals I would be working with was icey and cold. She was late to the interview while we all waited and when she got there, she seemed VERY disinterested in the whole process.

I thought the interview just went "ok" but nothing amazing. I would have been shocked had they called me back. A week later, HR sent me an email stating that they enjoyed talking to me but that they were going to go with an internal candidate that showed interest in the position at the beginning of the process.

USUALLY, internal candidates have first dibs. I am guessing they were probably going to go with her anyway...

The next one was with Microsoft. The person on the phone told me that they needed someone "yesterday" AND that they had a good candidate already but they still wanted to "shop around"... she actually said this to me. I was invited on campus for an interview but wanted me to drive up (3 hours each way) and pay for everything but only gave me a few days notice to do so. Since I am already working as a contractor, I don't get paid for days off so it would have been several hundred dollars for me.

It really is an employers market.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
I once was interviewing for a job and while waiting to see the second person (after waiting an hour for the first interview)I heard the one HR person tell someone else they already hired someone but wanted it to look legit Since at this point I had waited a long time for the second person I walked out. Why waste my time? I had to take off work that day too.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:56 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
It's entirely possible that they already selected an outside candidate from the applicant pool. It's the same problem but a different source, external candidates rather than internal candidates. I've been in that position as an interviewer, and it's hard to stay motivated once you know that both you and the candidate you're interested in have more or less closed the deal. Even so, there are valid reasons for continuing the interview process, and it's not only liability. Candidates do weird things sometimes. They might get a change of heart either one day before or even one day after hire. They might get terminally ill. They might not work out and the employer might not want to wait 90 days for the probation process to run its natural course. There are many reasons why employers do this. See it as your opportunity to make a positive impression, even if nothing comes of it.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:12 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
I've been on both sides of that, too. Sometimes you have 4 candidates coming in for interviews, and the first one is fantastic. You proceed with the others, just for the formality, but you already know which one you want.

Some employers have internal or external requirements to interview a certain minimum # of applicants before they can hire, even if they already know who's the best fit.

As for making a verbal offer to a candidate then reneging, that's a dirty and irresponsible practice. It happened to me once and the lesson I learned was not to resign the old position until I have a signed offer letter and contract in hand, and even then proceed with caution. In the long run, I dodged a bullet; ended up with a much better job and have never looked back.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You don't quit your job lightly in these uncertain times, unless you have a really solid reason. If you're unemployed, don't think of a job offer as an excuse to stop looking. You stop looking at 8am on Monday morning at your new place of employment, when you finally know the job is real!

Old 05-22-2014, 01:28 PM

80 posts, read 128,649 times
I recently went on an interview and I thought that I nailed it; however the HM mentioned during the interview that they currently had a contractor doing the job because the last individual was promoted. Needless to say, everytime I tried to check on my status, Har informed me that the HM had been out of town. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out, the contractor is already doing the job and will most likely be made an offer. Employers are having so much fun wasting the time of the unemployed which is horrible!

Old 05-22-2014, 03:02 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It's entirely possible that they already selected an outside candidate from the applicant pool. It's the same problem but a different source, external candidates rather than internal candidates. I've been in that position as an interviewer, and it's hard to stay motivated once you know that both you and the candidate you're interested in have more or less closed the deal. Even so, there are valid reasons for continuing the interview process, and it's not only liability. Candidates do weird things sometimes. They might get a change of heart either one day before or even one day after hire. They might get terminally ill. They might not work out and the employer might not want to wait 90 days for the probation process to run its natural course. There are many reasons why employers do this. See it as your opportunity to make a positive impression, even if nothing comes of it.
Well let's see how that works out. I recently interviewed at several places, two of which I thought were very positive. They both decided not to move forward with my application even though one interviewer even told me he was definitely going to contact me again. Maybe months or years from now when I've completely forgotten about them, I'll get a surprise call offering me a job. I'll start holding my breath.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The hiring manager might have internal policies to deal with that require 3 or more applicants.
I just went through this. I was "a late entry". The only reason I was "late" is that the HR person and I went back and forth on email for 10 days as she tried to figure out if I would come in within their salary range.

Once we got that settled, I interviewed with the hiring manager and I know I knocked it out of the park - moved ahead of all the other outside candidates being interviewed. He was genuinely interested. But there was one internal candidate whom I believe was already pre-ordained for the position. Given the way he ended the interview, I got the feeling he was going to go up the ladder to make a case for me, but that for all intents and purposes, that person (whomever it was) had already decided to settle for their internal person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search