Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:18 AM

41 posts, read 103,872 times

Advertisements

This is something I have recently gone through and I believe this proves that it really is an employers market.

I recently had an interview at a renewable energy company just up the street from where I am working now.

The interview was your typical behavioral question interrogation. One of the gals I would be working with was icey and cold. She was late to the interview while we all waited and when she got there, she seemed VERY disinterested in the whole process.

I thought the interview just went "ok" but nothing amazing. I would have been shocked had they called me back. A week later, HR sent me an email stating that they enjoyed talking to me but that they were going to go with an internal candidate that showed interest in the position at the beginning of the process.

USUALLY, internal candidates have first dibs. I am guessing they were probably going to go with her anyway...

The next one was with Microsoft. The person on the phone told me that they needed someone "yesterday" AND that they had a good candidate already but they still wanted to "shop around"... she actually said this to me. I was invited on campus for an interview but wanted me to drive up (3 hours each way) and pay for everything but only gave me a few days notice to do so. Since I am already working as a contractor, I don't get paid for days off so it would have been several hundred dollars for me.

It really is an employers market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
I think it's schizophrenic behavior because of the litigious society we live in

Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
I was on a four hour 8 person interview and one of the last interviewers let slip that they already hired a guy for this position.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:31 AM

41 posts, read 103,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I was on a four hour 8 person interview and one of the last interviewers let slip that they already hired a guy for this position.
Whoa! Any idea why they went through the time to interview you anyway? That seems very odd

Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBound View Post
Whoa! Any idea why they went through the time to interview you anyway? That seems very odd
I don't know but actually that position is still posted on major job boards and gets renewed every month. I think they are just shopping around and if someone really amazing comes around, they will hire him even if there is no specific opening.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:00 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
It's called doing due diligence and it is appropriate. They would be doing a disservice to their company if they did not do this.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:08 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Typical these days.

Most companies are required to interview a mix of candidates to "prove" that they aren't just promoting internal candidates or hiring drinking buddies. It's a great way to waste the time of the unemployed and falsely get their hopes up - as you've discovered, many times the people out of work are just being played to keep HR happy.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:10 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
The hiring manager might have internal policies to deal with that require 3 or more applicants.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,774 times
I believe some companies have the option to let the winning candidate go through a 3 month orientation (test drive) to see if he/she is a good fit. They have the option to let that person go if it doesn't work out and they can move on to the next best candidate.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBound View Post
Companies protect themselves by saying they looked at multiple candidates, so they cant be accused of favoritism or oldboy networking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search