Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 09:56 PM

39 posts, read 215,312 times

Advertisements

An employer has offered me several interviewing time and they are 9 to 12, 12 to 3, 3 to 5

I want to pick any time from 12 to 3, but my reservation with this time slot is that 12 to 2 is lunch time or the period before and after lunch, so I'm worry that I may encounter the following scenarios:

1. People wanting to leave for lunch so they want to finish the interview as soon as possible
2. people's attention span and listening patience (they just come back from lunch and maybe they have no interest to listen to any serious talking)

I'm sure there're more issues, but I can only think of these for now
so how will these factors affect my interview?
Is it a good sign that people want to have a quick interview with me?
What I want to say is, I don't want to be scrutinized, so I want to pick a good time slot where I won't be overly-judged for what I wear, how I look, what my job history is etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
If you don't want to be scrutinized, go before lunch.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
I always picked the earliest time, easy to remember. If you pick a time like 11am you could easily fall through the cracks

Old 05-23-2014, 11:05 PM

39 posts, read 215,312 times
I never pick 9am because I always worry about people not getting that up to speed after they arrive at work. I mean some may not want to start an interview so early after a long commune to the office or some are not fully awake yet

Old 05-24-2014, 06:38 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
I have been on both sides of the interview table at different times of the day. The best time is when you are comfortable and relaxed. I have seen some problems with early morning interviews, though.

Sometimes, the hiring manager may be late arriving at the office. The appointment ends up being cancelled. You waste your gas in rush hour for nothing.

If you do a morning interview, 9:30 am or later should be fine.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:13 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Having done hundreds of interviews, a good interview is a good interview and a bad interview is a bad interview, regardless of the time of day. Sometimes the best candidate is the last person on the last day of interviews.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Having done hundreds of interviews, a good interview is a good interview and a bad interview is a bad interview, regardless of the time of day. Sometimes the best candidate is the last person on the last day of interviews.
While I agree completely, there may be some interviewers that succumb to distraction by hunger or fatigue and don't put forth their best effort. As a hiring manager that has done hundred of interviews, I'll offer what I have found to be my experience. When interviewing 15-20 people we have to rate them based on our memory and notes on the others. Those that went early on in the process may not be remembered as well, by the last 1-2 it may be tempting to rush it and get the process over with. My recommendation is 3rd last on the last day as the best chance of getting the full attention of the interviewers. This is normally not a problem however, because there always seems to be one person
that stands out above the others. In the last 4 I have hired, there was no one close to the person selected. Each was a 9-10 on a scale of 1-10 with the next at about 6-7 so nothing in the timing of the interview would have made any difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search