Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:33 PM

44 posts, read 44,857 times

Advertisements

I have a chance at a great job with the City. Applied online as they require and input a resume. Got the interview!

Heres whats killing me. Written city policy states that a list of eligible candidates is decided upon by the civil service/personnel department. That list is then sent to tje department doing the hiring and they choose interview candidates from it.

Once interviews are over a conditional offer of employment packet is sent to the primary candidate. This packet includes three release forms authorizing tax checks, background check, and drivers license check. The packet then gets sent back and they run the checks. So long as they come back clear the candidate is given a final offer of employment.

When I went in for my interview the other day they insisted I bring a license and ss card. They had me fill out the 3 forms and implied though not directly stated that theyd be doing those background checks. Again per city policy amd ordinance...they may not run a background check without a conditional offer of employment.

The interview went fairly well and I felt a good rapport with both people. But no conditional offer was extended.

Trying to gain some insight...the next day i contacted the civil service/personnel department and asked them how rigorously these policies were followed. The woman stated that theyre strict about following those policies and that she did not think they would collect those forms if they did not intend to tender an offer. Of course she had no idea which department i was referring to or who i was.

I do not intend to make waves regardless of the outcome. But i am wondering what more knowledgeable people make of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 03:20 PM

I guess what Im hoping is that they know they could open themselves up to trouble by not following procedure (These 2 were high on the food chain and would very likely know) and therefore were indeed quite serious about me if they had me sign those release forms.

Am I way off in thinking this?

Old 05-24-2014, 04:44 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
You are overthinking.

The department interviewing you may collect these forms from everybody they interview as standard procedure. This will save them time and aggravation in the hiring process. Rather than having to call the #1 candidate and have that person come in to sign the documents, they can just have every applicant sign the necessary documents and submit them for the one person they want to hire.

Yes, this might be a minor violation of policy, but it is not a big deal, and nobody is going to get in trouble for it.

Rules and policies are put into place to give managers guidelines. They are rarely meant to micromanage daily procedures. Even if you were to complain about how this particular hiring was happening, nobody would get into trouble, and it certainly would not, under any circumstances, get you the position.

As a senior manager, I have a great deal of latitude in interpreting rules and implementing policy. That is all I see happening here.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:55 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Running the background is the policy step, not collecting the forms.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:56 PM

I appreciate your insight. Thats exactly why I posted this here.

As I said, I certainly have no intention of making waves regardless of the outcome. I do tend to overthink ad overanalyze. In fact I even told them this when they asked me about weaknesses.

If the written policy was not so clear about when those forms are signed I would think very little about it. But since it is, and those forms are to be returned with conditional employment agreement, and this is civil service rather than private sector (Government would be a bit more strict about following policy I should think), I admit I became hopeful.

I knew when I applied for this position that it would be very difficult to obtain as City jobs are in such high demand.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Running the background is the policy step, not collecting the forms.
Actually, they are quite clear about when those forms are to be collected. The city's personnel department confirmed this on the phone for me. She was adamant that regardless of the department it would be highly unusual and not policy for them to collect those forms from someone who they did not intend to extend an offer to.

City policy outlines that these forms are included in a conditional offer packet, which is to be filled out and returned by the candidate.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:08 PM

You should think of procedures as guidelines, not rock solid laws with criminal penalties if you deviate.

From an HR point of view, they are trying to give all managers assistance in hiring.

Imagine a person who is a newly promoted manager. They must hire somebody for the first time. Rather than leave that new manager floundering with no resources, HR draws up a procedure. The manager can then look on the municipal web page, as you did, and follow the path laid out. This will ensure that they get somebody hired, the correct salary level is followed, all the necessary steps are included for employment verification, background check, etc.

Now, imagine an experienced manager who has hired a few dozen people. S/he knows the necessary steps that must be included, but decides to alter them a bit so that the hiring process fits into her schedule. A few minor amendments are made to the process, but all the big items are done appropriately. In this case, a signed release is obtained before the background check is done.

No harm is done, a person is vetted and hired.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmessier View Post
Actually, they are quite clear about when those forms are to be collected. The city's personnel department confirmed this on the phone for me. She was adamant that regardless of the department it would be highly unusual and not policy for them to collect those forms from someone who they did not intend to extend an offer to.

City policy outlines that these forms are included in a conditional offer packet, which is to be filled out and returned by the candidate.
In this case the manager has provided these forms in advance of a conditional offer. Easier for everybody.

Lighten up.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:11 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmessier View Post

I can see why you pointed this out as an opportunity for yourself.

I will absolutely guarantee you that less than 50% of your job will be governed exactly as policy states.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You should think of procedures as guidelines, not rock solid laws with criminal penalties if you deviate.

From an HR point of view, they are trying to give all managers assistance in hiring.

Imagine a person who is a newly promoted manager. They must hire somebody for the first time. Rather than leave that new manager floundering with no resources, HR draws up a procedure. The manager can then look on the municipal web page, as you did, and follow the oath laid out. This will ensure that they get somebody hired, the correct salary level is followed, all the necessary steps are included for employment verification, background check, etc.

Now, imagine an experienced manager who has hired a few dozen people. S/he knows the necessary steps that must be included, but decides to alter them a bit so that the hiring process fits into her schedule. A few minor amendments are made to the process, but all the big items are done appropriately. In this case, a signed release is obtained before the background check is done.

No harm is done, a person is vetted and hired.
Completely understood. I appreciate the reality check. Its what I needed hear. Not what I WANTED to hear at all of course. I desperately need to get out of my toxic work environment and though I know its a long shot I have a lot of hopes pinned on this job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search