Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:04 AM

5 posts, read 8,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
If they truly cared about your opinion, they'd ask before the exit interview.
Yup !!! I've only had one. I would have LOVED to unload, but it wouldn't matter. Didn't tell them anything of substance. I did take the time and reinforce some of the positive things done there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 07:22 AM

836 posts, read 1,031,607 times
I was asked why I was leaving, if they could do anything to get me to stay, and they asked me if I felt I was compensated fairly. I guess a lot of people leave for more money so HR can adjust the salary if needbe if it turns out a lot of ppl are leaving for financial reasons.

They also asked me if I were leaving for a similar position or an upgrade in position. It was really casual. Just say thanks for the opportunity and how much you loved it there!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:19 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Am in agreement with posters who advised to KISS it (Keep it simple...) and only positive remarks (but not overdone so it's obvious it's phony).

One coworker used the exit interview as a means to bash her supervisor; I typed up the final document and every word she spoke was true. However, after mahogany row read what she'd expressed, she was immediately labeled a troublemaker and that the corporation was better off without such a negative individual onboard.

And the supervisor from hell? Nada was done about that....typical.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:23 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
I was asked why I was leaving, if they could do anything to get me to stay, and they asked me if I felt I was compensated fairly. I guess a lot of people leave for more money so HR can adjust the salary if need be if it turns out a lot of ppl are leaving for financial reasons.
Maybe in a perfect world....but we know all about that scenario.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:11 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Tell them your leaving because you figure the only advancement is their job and your conscience wouldn't let you do what they do. Then say "I'm better than that" and leave.
Make sure you wear something that accentuates your rump so they can know where to kiss as you walk out.

Now back to the real world. Thank them for the opportunity and move on.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:04 AM

634 posts, read 896,767 times
Waste of time and benefit nobody. When presented with them now I tell them exactly what they want to hear.

I can also never recall doing these before the HR gatekeepers came along.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:56 AM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I've had a few. Usually HR asks why you left and how your experiences were at the company. I would refrain from making any negative statements, as this could "burn your bridges". Be positive and leave the company professionally.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:20 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I've had a few. Usually HR asks why you left and how your experiences were at the company. I would refrain from making any negative statements, as this could "burn your bridges". Be positive and leave the company professionally.

Yep when I was young and had my first professional job-I thought HR was on the employees side...I made a few negative comments about a supervisor and to this day I'm "unhireable." No company cares what they are doing wrong...once you leave HR sticks your file in a drawer and you will never be thought of again.

NEVER do it....now it's all song and dance..

Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
It's a formality. None of your suggestions will be taken seriously, companies know their faults but rarely are they ever seriously addressed. At the end of the day, just thank them for the opportunity, and say you're moving on to a new challenge. Bashing the company is guaranteed to get you a bad reference, even if you're 100% correct. Other than making yourself feel good, it's ultimately futile to express how you 'really' feel.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
This is a very brittle piece of work HR does. Essentially if you say anything negative kiss your reference goodbye. Even if the reason you are leaving is because the company was in the wrong.
You can be pretty confident that any company with an HR department that does exit interviews also has a policy against providing references anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search