Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 PM

33 posts, read 105,777 times

Advertisements

If the hiring manager is spending the entire week this week to interview, is it bad to interview on the last day of the week and as probably the last person?

I am worried that I would have a lot to live up to and I personally don't think the hiring manager likes me much (based on our interactions so far). I know the competition for this role is stiff with a lot of people interviewing before me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
It shouldn't, not unless the person interviewing you is a drama queen or unstable.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsearcher123 View Post
If the hiring manager is spending the entire week this week to interview, is it bad to interview on the last day of the week and as probably the last person?

I am worried that I would have a lot to live up to and I personally don't think the hiring manager likes me much (based on our interactions so far). I know the competition for this role is stiff with a lot of people interviewing before me.

And what happens if the hiring manager is so burned out that he/she feels they have what they need and cancels Friday's interviews? It's happened.

I would schedule on Thursday. And don't be so sure about what the hiring manager thinks of you because I've heard more than one story like that with the candidates getting the job.

Good luck.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:35 PM

129 posts, read 208,401 times
It's usual for companies to block off a full week to get the slate of interviews done. I've been on both sides (first to go, last to go) and it could go either way. Also on the other side of that table doing the interviewing most of the time. You need to impress them with your skills, your research (be sure to do a lot of that), asking good, thought out questions and be prepared for hard questions that come up during the interview. "I don't know" is never a good answer. Think of a way to answer the question that does not sink you. Don't talk too much, do not get too comfortable as you may end up talking too much or about things the manager doesn't need to know (I've heard people refer to their kid's drug problems in an interview, that isn't a good way to go). Be energetic and make sure you appear eager to learn. When you do those things, it doesn't matter if you go first or last. You are trying to differentiate yourself from the other candidates by showing them why you are the best candidate.

Feel free to DM me if you need any help, think I conducted about 10 interviews this week alone. Take care and good luck!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:39 PM

33 posts, read 105,777 times
Also, I forgot to include this question in the OP.

Any particular tips for success going last where decision is made within the next couple of hours?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:14 PM

129 posts, read 208,401 times
All you can do is wow them with your knowledge, great questions and thought out answers. I interviewed for a job years ago that I thought I blew, the two interviewers were so tired and I think I was the last to go. I got that job and was there for 10 years. You never know what's going to happen, just be prepared as you can, make sure you dress professionally and try and differentiate yourself. There are going to be times where they already have their candidate, and there is nothing you can do about that. All you can control is yourself and how you present yourself. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search