Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:41 AM

634 posts, read 897,563 times

Advertisements

So HR gatekeepers, what are we supposed to do now? This is your world and it's getting harder to work in it.

Why the contradiction?

Any suggestions to getting around it?

Because I hear it a lot these days. And they always cite "company policy". Really? Or just a cop out from giving me a reference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 06:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Companies usually have hundreds of applicants for every position. You need a job and they have a bunch of candidates from whom to choose. What on earth sort of "references" do you think they should be giving you? If you land an interview you can ask some questions during that process. There's no contradiction.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:15 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
So HR gatekeepers, what are we supposed to do now? This is your world and it's getting harder to work in it.

Why the contradiction?

Because I hear it a lot these days. And they always cite "company policy". Really? Or just a cop out from giving me a reference?

Old 06-01-2014, 06:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:

Why the contradiction?

What sort of references are you looking for from a potential employer?
You are the one who needs the job and at this point you need them way more than they need you.

I cannot imagine asking a potential employer for references in regards to their company or any of their employees just to appease a potential employee who I'm sure just made themselves a "definitely do not hire" interviewee.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:30 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I think he is saying that HR will not provide a reference to a third party asking about him.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
He is saying that companies - almost universally - have decided that they will not GIVE references for former employees. Yet at the same time they require that new employees HAVE references.

They are causing a problem that only they can fix. Your only hope for getting a reference from a former employer is that a manager liked you well enough that they are willing to violate company policy and give you the requested reference.

I flat out tell head-hunters that I will provide NO references from former managers and if that is not good enough, then too bad. But I have always been fortunate enough to have a skill set that is in high demand and I can get away with that.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
When you hire someone to cut your grass, don't you want to know how their former clients like their services?

Now, would you be willing to give your grass guy references for the last home services folks (plumber, maid, electrician) you hired?

There's a certain power dynamic that applies and given the right circumstances, YOU would behave the same way.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
He is saying that companies - almost universally - have decided that they will not GIVE references for former employees. Yet at the same time they require that new employees HAVE references.

They are causing a problem that only they can fix. Your only hope for getting a reference from a former employer is that a manager liked you well enough that they are willing to violate company policy and give you the requested reference.

I flat out tell head-hunters that I will provide NO references from former managers and if that is not good enough, then too bad. But I have always been fortunate enough to have a skill set that is in high demand and I can get away with that.

The original statement makes sense now, thank you for the clarification.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:16 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:

Why the contradiction?

You should be able to get references from co-workers and those in higher positions you've worked with. They aren't being flooded with those kind of requests and often ignore company policy.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
When we ask for professional references, we don't mean from HR. We are looking for people that are familiar with the person's work. This could be previous supervisors, co-workers, customers, suppliers, or contractors. When I applied for the position I have now, I was able to use someone I worked with 16 years before, a recent former customer, and the general manager at a place I had worked who is now a local CEO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search