Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:54 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times

Advertisements

So I'm a high school teacher who was recently involved with the hiring of my school's new athletic director. We had 40-50 some resumes sent to us and from that we selected 5 to interview. We got some common responses such as "how on earth did so and so get an interview?". Well as it turns out while we were doing the screening process of these resumes we discovered that in this age we live where everything is online not only are people liars but just down right dumb. We received at least half a dozen or so resumes from people who clearly stated that they were current athletic directors at their current school in good standing and when we went to the school's website not only were they not listed as the current AD but some were not even involved in their school's athletic programs. We googled all resumes and some had blatant lies such as the ones mentioned above and some more mild.

Are people really just this dumb?.....apparently.

anyone else ever experience this?

Old 06-01-2014, 12:16 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times
Umm. I worked for a school district and not all of the district or individual school websites are always up to date, particularly in the staff listing areas. Our techs used to rely on HR staff to tell them of changes. It was a low priority for both. I would never base a screening on those websites.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:34 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
^^ I agree. I know a guy who got a job as a city department head; it took months before anyone finally got around to updating the city's website.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:43 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
So I'm a high school teacher who was recently involved with the hiring of my school's new athletic director. We had 40-50 some resumes sent to us and from that we selected 5 to interview. We got some common responses such as "how on earth did so and so get an interview?". Well as it turns out while we were doing the screening process of these resumes we discovered that in this age we live where everything is online not only are people liars but just down right dumb. We received at least half a dozen or so resumes from people who clearly stated that they were current athletic directors at their current school in good standing and when we went to the school's website not only were they not listed as the current AD but some were not even involved in their school's athletic programs. We googled all resumes and some had blatant lies such as the ones mentioned above and some more mild.

Are people really just this dumb?.....apparently.

anyone else ever experience this?
Wait... you just GOOGLED the people in question, checked school websites, and just assumed that information was accurate?! Um... last I checked, HR was supposed to actually VERIFY previous employment, not just assume the magical inter-tubes has all the answers... Geez... I've seen countless companies fail to update their websites for months or longer regarding current employees, and I've seen plenty of employees who make sure that their online lies match their resume lies, which means if you trust Google, you'd assume they were telling the truth.

Hey, don't get me wrong - I'm not in favor of people lying like that on their resumes, and there is no shortage of idiots out there, but simply trusting an internet search and a school's website does not make for a valid background check, IMHO.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Wait... you just GOOGLED the people in question,
Google would work in this case, if one googled their local newspapers. ADs are quoted all the time by papers, all across the nation, in small town/small city newspapers. I would agree on NOT trusting websites.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Many candidates lie. That's their stupidity. It's very telling of the quality of person they are. If you lie on your resume, you're a loser.

However, employers should do more than just Google and check out employer's websites. They should do proper background checks. If you can't do these things properly, perhaps you shouldn't be in a position to hire people.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:36 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
I am speechless. Googling for employment verification?

Old 06-01-2014, 02:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Umm. I worked for a school district and not all of the district or individual school websites are always up to date, particularly in the staff listing areas. Our techs used to rely on HR staff to tell them of changes. It was a low priority for both. I would never base a screening on those websites.
I'm hoping that you did more checking than just their school's websites.

I know that some of the information on my former school's site is two years out of date.

But, of course people should not lie.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:50 PM

498 posts, read 977,786 times
You guys realize the OP is just talking about application screening, right? No HR department in America will conduct actual background checks on applicants at least until they have a shortlist for the position they're hiring for.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Many candidates lie. That's their stupidity. It's very telling of the quality of person they are. If you lie on your resume, you're a loser.

However, employers should do more than just Google and check out employer's websites. They should do proper background checks. If you can't do these things properly, perhaps you shouldn't be in a position to hire people.
Not in a case where the position is Athletic Director. In the attached article, as is the case every week in our newspaper even when just an ordinary game was played, inevitably, the AD is interviewed with quotes and his/her name included. This is NOT a private sector, hide behind your desk and no one knows you job.

2nd bullying lawsuit filed against Sumner schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search