Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 03:25 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,374,991 times

Advertisements

I disagree. You can fake your salary history most of the time, you can inflate your job responsibilites, you can fake your references, and you can create fake jobs at companies that no longer exist or perhaps are fake with the right background work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,725,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I disagree. You can fake your salary history most of the time, you can inflate your job responsibilites, you can fake your references, and you can create fake jobs at companies that no longer exist or perhaps are fake with the right background work.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:09 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,358,522 times
Quote:
Why would anyone want to work with a company potentially full of liars. I wonder how successful it would be if they lie to customers and shareholders too.

As you get older it's hard enough to remember real things. Don't make life more complicated by telling lies you need to remember.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:15 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,357,630 times
Brits here in Canada usually picked out their Masters Degree from war zones,
such as Bosnia, and then had their bros. or sistas "verify" that they really did have a degree,
untraceable, from said bombed University.

I can't believe the schools that bought it. Usually the admin. that did the hiring was populated by.......you guessed it........other Brits!!!!!! There's a guy in Library Science and "notanotherone" in history at S.F. U. and the U. of Lethbridge that are complete phonies. U.B.C. years ago had a PRESIDENT that did the same thing. Sheesh. Why work?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:18 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,684,271 times
You can't fake a Masters Degree. Nothing you can do but fess up.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:26 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,890,786 times
I lied on my resumes and here I am doing excellent and laughing years later. Even if my employer found out now, it wouldn't make a difference. Business is money and money will triumph any moral cause when the numbers meet the paper.

If you're going to fib, for God sake do it right. Friends for references can cover A LOT of crap. The least you could have done was have a friend act as a college professor reference for one of your Masters classes.

What shows up about you on Google? What is public on your Facebook? Hundreds of ways to inject hints that you went to said college. You don't have to be in cap and gown, just a picture of you in front of said college's mascot statue or the like. Maybe a picture of everyone throwing their hats in the air of said college.

Cmon, think

I'd play this out. Get past this moment and the only time you'll have to worry is if they're looking to fire you, in which point you're already fired anyways…they'll find a reason, anything. So that point is really moot.

Here's what you're going to do. I hope you have a good female friend. Females are just more articulate and convincing. You going to go on the offensive. She is going to CALL THEM and…

"Hello this is Mary Rodriguez (similar racial name to those conducting background check) and I am with graduate admissions of so-n-so college and was asked by so-n-so to confirm records for employment…"

People trust their own kind, and two, they trust women, and three, no tackling the fake phone numbers or email issue.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,563,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
So the school exists right? If it does, just give her a fake phone number and say that's where people call to verify attendance. then she might call, if she does, pretend you work at the school and say let me look that up for you, okay here he is!

If they catch you, so be it, if they don't, good for you.

That didn't work too well for George Constanza.

OP, you better very quickly retract your two week notice, and hope your current employer says OK.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:57 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,703,812 times
Hmm, I think that is private information. I believe a school cannot give out degree information, which is why some employers will ask for official transcripts (most don't).

You should not have lied, but I'm failing to see where they can verify the degree without asking for your transcripts.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,528,391 times
Most employers use National Student Clearinghouse which is a database that has all of that information.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,769,343 times
Quote:
Actually you can't.

Salary history? Probably not. In government and non profits that information can be found pretty easily. Private sector well is the company publicly traded? Then shareholders have the right to know.

References? No. One might argue to get skype numbers but at the end of the day it doesn't take much to check references. Like calling a tax assessor to verify property ownership.

Fake jobs at companies that don't exist? Sorry but again tax forms can be verified with TIN's.

I used to skiptrace when I worked collections. All you need is a mere $6 to pull a credit report and most of this can be revealed.

Faking a degree is utterly unethical and frankly depending on the job you might find yourself with some civil fines. In Mass the Dookan case is an example

Crime Lab Scandal Leaves Mass. Legal System In Turmoil : NPR

Hired faking a degree and then she didn't know how to do her job. She screwed up countless amounts of evidence to the point where some were released that shouldn't and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search