Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times

Advertisements

By the way there is nothing with game theory here. If you want to know about that subject I recommend this book.
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Theory-A-...dp/0415250951/

I would also point out that most reputable master degree programs usually have a test to get in. These being the GRE or the GMAT. When you take these you can send your transcripts to various universities with your results. While it is true some universities might allow someone a semester to take it you STILL have to take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,728,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
By the way there is nothing with game theory here. If you want to know about that subject I recommend this book.
Game Theory: A Critical Introduction: Shaun Hargreaves-Heap, Yanis Varoufakis: 9780415250955: Amazon.com: Books

I would also point out that most reputable master degree programs usually have a test to get in. These being the GRE or the GMAT. When you take these you can send your transcripts to various universities with your results. While it is true some universities might allow someone a semester to take it you STILL have to take it.
Correct, I have a published thesis and I agree that it is rather annoying people would fib on such an undertaking. Another thing that comes to mind I hear people say all the time is, I have an MS degree, and when I ask "what was your thesis on?" they reply, "it was an MS without a thesis". Those are called Professional Masters degrees or PMS for short, and they should be regarded as such, not as MS.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 PM

341 posts, read 674,775 times
This might be a long shot, but is there any way you can say, "I thought it was asking for competence in The Microsoft Suite, like excel, word, etc."

Because you mastered that in college. Or does it legit say Master's Degree and not just MS?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:33 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,361 times
@MJ7 The reason I said that is because once they find out she lied, they are going to fire her. She needs to keep her job and keep applying for other jobs. This could have been avoided if she hadn't lied on her resume in the first place.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Correct, I have a published thesis and I agree that it is rather annoying people would fib on such an undertaking. Another thing that comes to mind I hear people say all the time is, I have an MS degree, and when I ask "what was your thesis on?" they reply, "it was an MS without a thesis". Those are called Professional Masters degrees or PMS for short, and they should be regarded as such, not as MS.
For all you know, their degree may very well say "Masters of Science".

At U. of California - Berkeley, a Masters degree in engineering without a thesis is designated a Master of Engineering. It is relatively new and started 2011. The degree that requires a thesis is a Masters of Science. The whole point of the M.S. according to UC-Berkeley is to lay groundwork for a PhD.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBWVB View Post
I recently applied to a job for which I was a 100% match. The position requires a bachelor but a masters is preferred.

I went ahead and added a masters degree which I don't have on my resume and I believe I also put in on my application...the school is real but I never even applied.

I have been offered the job, completed an I-9, passed the drug test, took my photo for ID and have a start date. Today I got an email from the verification company saying that she could not locate my university and if I had information or concerns to email her. Instead I called and left a message.

What should I do? I foolishly gave notice to my current employer...have not burned bridges...guess that is good.

I am not sure what I would actually tell the "private investigator", when she calls. Or will they assume I lied if I don't email them with school information (number to call etc.)

I feel that I should call the hiring manager and come clean...even if it costs me the job. I would hate to start and get fired later because the reference did not check out.

The damage is done what should I do?
Admit you lied and refuse the position.
Rescind your notice to the current employer if you can.
Quit telling lies about yourself.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post

but it’s not like they are brilliant and always make good decisions and that their lives are perfect.
I don't always make good decisions, but I have never lied to get a job.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,728,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
For all you know, their degree may very well say "Masters of Science".

At U. of California - Berkeley, a Masters degree in engineering without a thesis is designated a Master of Engineering. It is relatively new and started 2011. The degree that requires a thesis is a Masters of Science. The whole point of the M.S. according to UC-Berkeley is to lay groundwork for a PhD.
Correct, also to make potential employers aware of your expertise on a subject matter, your writing abilities and your dedication to a project. That is fine if they call it ME, it is not the same as MS.

Being published is a big deal in some professions.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Correct, also to make potential employers aware of your expertise on a subject matter, your writing abilities and your dedication to a project. That is fine if they call it ME, it is not the same as MS.

Being published is a big deal in some professions.
As I wrote before, they may have a MS degree. If that is what it says on the piece of paper their university gave them, then they are allowed to say they have a MS.

Being published is a big deal in research or if you think it is a big deal which you seem to.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:14 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I don't always make good decisions, but I have never lied to get a job.
I bet I never made one of the bad decisions that you made too. Stop judging who’s bad decision is the worse one.

Alternatively, you can go ahead and feel free to walk around the rest of your life thinking that your poor decisions and actions are less poor than others, and therefore feel better about yourself.

That whole mind frame of “I’m not perfect but I would never...” is splendidly idiotic, but serves a purpose I suppose. Used to feel justified in judging and prove that one is on a higher moral ground. Must feel good to be so blissfully ignorant about yourself.

Personally, I prefer the person who makes mistakes and bad decisions but is able to stare them in the face without the defense mechanism of judging them against or comparing them with those of others – because we are all different degrees of perfect. I guess I just have an element of understanding and compassion that you lack, which must really burn you because people like you prefer to think they have a healthy amount of compassion – more than transgressors like me anyway.

But hey, you are who you are. And apparently who you think you are (as you clearly imply) is more perfect than others, or at least more perfect than the OP. So yeah, you are my hero and I wish I could be more like you. Because ya know, I’m sure you never have, nor ever will do anything worse than lie on a resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search