U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 03:16 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,345,352 times

Advertisements

I landed an interview for a part-time billing assistant position at a healthcare clinic. The interviewer told me that I'd have to take an excel test at the clinic before the interview with the billing manager.

I hardly use excel at all, if I do, it's for graph making for class projects. I usually grasp this type of stuff really fast when I have the exact directions to go about doing something on Excel. I'm not sure if this test will be multiple choice or if it will be on the excel program itself..does anyone have any suggestions/tips on how I should go about preparing for this test? It's going to be this coming Friday so I have some time.

Thanks as always everyone.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 03:54 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 9,362,644 times
If you have Excel on your PC do a google searchfor Excel tutorial, it will show you some stuff.

Basically you just need to practice the basics.

I can't see the test being too hard seeing as it's for billing.

Learn how to freeze panes and make large spreadsheets, that's what you'll mostly be doing.

If you do not have Excel on your PC you can still watch the tutorials and read about the functions, it will take longer as you do not own Excel yourself.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:01 PM

5,632 posts, read 6,049,894 times
My strong guess is that it'll be on a computer. Making charts and graphs is good. You can go in line too - many sites offer free teaching. Or get a book (excel for dummies or something ) at the library.

Make sure to find out which version of Excel they are using - 2003 differs from 2007. Brush up on charts and some basic formulas (summing a column, subtracting and dividing, etc,). Other stuff like vlookup is good to know but I doubt they'll go to that type of level. I would also get familiar with pivot tables.

You also may want to know how to change variable types from a number to a dollar value or how to calculate a percentage and percentage of the total.

There are tons of free on line resources and exercises.

Best of luck

Old 06-07-2014, 04:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,572,947 times
There are many tests available for you to practice online. Google "free excel test online".

Old 06-07-2014, 05:14 PM

399 posts, read 496,691 times
The excel tests I have taken all involve using the program itself. You'll see a direction and you have to carry it out. The questions are in increasing difficulty. Things as simple as selecting a certain column all the way to working with macros.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,062 posts, read 61,944,958 times
In business we often export data from various databases to Excel and manipulate it for a variety of reporting, as you have done with charts and graphs, but more often to do financial modeling, or "what if" calculations. In addition to handling simple macros, you may need to be fluent at setting filters, conditional formatting, and pivot tables. Look these all up and find tutorials, and practice.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:28 PM

5,572 posts, read 5,090,414 times
Youtube channel ExcelisFun

ExcelIsFun - YouTube
What that professor gives away for free is easily thousands of dollars worth of material.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:36 PM

103 posts, read 168,951 times
Youtube has some great videos and there's also this website - ALISON, you can take online courses for free.
God luck on your test and interview.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,345,352 times
UPDATE:

Thanks a lot for your support everyone. I had the interview yesterday at their office (Drove to Phoenix AZ). The excel test wasn't as hard a I thought, but I managed to get 27/30. I'm not sure how a 90% will be perceived by them. Anyhow, I was told I'd be meeting the bill manager, but instead two females came, I'm not sure how high they are in the food chain. We had the interview, and it was not the typical behavioral interview, rather it was: "This job is stressful, lots of overtime, can you handle it?" I replied mostly relating to my internship experience and how they were similar to the job I'm applying for. After I was done asking questions, one of the females told me: "We're still interviewing several candidates right now, and we're going to convene later this week, we'll keep you in touch." I felt like the interview went pretty well for the most part, but is what she told me relatively not a good sign? They weren't the manager per se, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:31 PM

28,029 posts, read 13,112,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
UPDATE:

Thanks a lot for your support everyone. I had the interview yesterday at their office (Drove to Phoenix AZ). The excel test wasn't as hard a I thought, but I managed to get 27/30. I'm not sure how a 90% will be perceived by them. Anyhow, I was told I'd be meeting the bill manager, but instead two females came, I'm not sure how high they are in the food chain. We had the interview, and it was not the typical behavioral interview, rather it was: "This job is stressful, lots of overtime, can you handle it?" I replied mostly relating to my internship experience and how they were similar to the job I'm applying for. After I was done asking questions, one of the females told me: "We're still interviewing several candidates right now, and we're going to convene later this week, we'll keep you in touch." I felt like the interview went pretty well for the most part, but is what she told me relatively not a good sign? They weren't the manager per se, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Thanks a lot everyone.
Are you sure one of them wasn't the manager? You know, they're making females managers now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search