Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 12:19 PM

69 posts, read 186,214 times

Advertisements

I know gaps on a resume are considered bad but how do you overcome this? I technically don't have a true gap in employment as I'm in grad school and quit my last job because they refuse to work with my school schedule (it was a job with no room for advancement at a company that'll probably be out of business within the next 3 years-maybe less) and had a part time until I had to move to a new city (pay did not outweigh cost of driving 3-5 days a week) but is there a way to restructure my resume so that grad school looks like experience? I'm trying to change industries and am not quite sure how to go about it.

Also, how do you list a "work from home" job situation? Most applications also want location/phone number of supervisor/etc.? This was a legit work from home job as a part time merchandiser for a greeting card company. I know she'd give me a good reference but feel uncertain about giving her cell phone number-even with permission-for jobs. I can easily explain the situation in an interview but trying to figure out how to fill out a job application is another thing entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 01:00 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
In this economy, I don't think gaps are indicative of anything.

I am not sure why you are uncertain about listing your supervisor's information. You are looking for a job and the employer is looking for a way to verify employment and capability, so you need to have a talk with her about receiving phone calls from potential employers.

XYZ Greeting Cards, this date to that date. Immediate Supervisor: Mary Smith, (123) 456-7890

Without knowing anything about your grad school or degree, how do you expect to make it look like experience instead of education? Did you conduct research, participate in internships, do specific classes directly relate to positions you are applying for, etc?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
In this economy, I don't think gaps are indicative of anything.

I am not sure why you are uncertain about listing your supervisor's information. You are looking for a job and the employer is looking for a way to verify employment and capability, so you need to have a talk with her about receiving phone calls from potential employers.

XYZ Greeting Cards, this date to that date. Immediate Supervisor: Mary Smith, (123) 456-7890

Without knowing anything about your grad school or degree, how do you expect to make it look like experience instead of education? Did you conduct research, participate in internships, do specific classes directly relate to positions you are applying for, etc?
I'm uncertain because of the amount of information most places want you to provide about the job before you can move on passed that part of the application. Thanks for the help-I didn't think about listing classes related to the positions I'm apply for, my research is already on the resume. I've heard of some people using their Grad school education as more of a job on their resumes.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:00 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Just say you decided to take X amount of time off to finish your graduate degree and that scheduling around it was too difficult for your former employer. It's perfectly acceptable, provided it's true.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
If you laid around happy enough to collect unemployment handouts and weren't doing much of anything, then it might be hard to explain them, but getting an education generally won't hurt you at all. I don't think going to grad school is going to be difficult to use to explain a job gap.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:13 PM

Okay, thanks! I appreciate all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search