Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 12:55 AM

4 posts, read 3,794 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've a friend who's looking for a job. Can anyone tell me what would be the top 5 things you would hire a college student for if you are an employer?

All responses will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
There's not much detail provided so I will assume some basic things....

> The college student is completing his/her degree program
> The college student has prior hands on experience in a professional setting
> The college student will be earning an M.D. upon completion.

1. Occupational Health
2. General/Family Medicine
3. Pediatrics
4. Geriatrics
5. Sports Medicine

Old 06-10-2014, 01:57 AM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
College students have the ability to learn and pick up skills at an amazing rate. They embrace new ideas, technology and solutions with no problem. They're mobile, can work remotely and are some of the most efficient workers available as they can knock out a proposal from an iPad anywhere at any time.

This has the assumption the worker is smart and above average. Obviously a bum is a bum regardless of age or generation.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
make up a pamphlet and go door to door for lawn mowing and yard-work, and odd jobs- first job is half price

Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I had a business for 16 years, it was graphics, signs and engraving. I always hired students from the local art institute, mostly graphics design majors. It gave them some real world experience while providing me with talented, creative people that knew how to use computer graphics programs and they had manual dexterity for other aspects of the job.

To make it more general:

1. Major that applies to the work I need done
2. Schedule that provides them with the time to work when I need them
3. Enthusiasm for working at my business
4. Has transportation between work/school/job
5. Pleasant personality

Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrefine View Post
Hello!

I've a friend who's looking for a job. Can anyone tell me what would be the top 5 things you would hire a college student for if you are an employer?

All responses will be greatly appreciated.
The #1 thing would be GPA. I know recent graduates and they are notoriously bad at resumes and interviewing, which is to be expected since they have no experience doing it.

I have been on well over 100 interviews in my life. Of course, communication skills would be important.

But mostly GPA, because there's not much else to go on. IME, GPA correlates pretty well to work ethic over a 4 year period. An upward trend over the last half would be fine too.

I know other people here say GPA is completely useless. I disagree.

The other thing would be if they had signficant internship experience. That might help a little to make sure that they actually want to do the job, but not too much in terms of actual training that would save us.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,794 times
Wow! Thanks for all your great responses.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:00 PM

318 posts, read 950,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The #1 thing would be GPA. I know recent graduates and they are notoriously bad at resumes and interviewing, which is to be expected since they have no experience doing it.

I have been on well over 100 interviews in my life. Of course, communication skills would be important.

But mostly GPA, because there's not much else to go on. IME, GPA correlates pretty well to work ethic over a 4 year period. An upward trend over the last half would be fine too.

The other thing would be if they had signficant internship experience. That might help a little to make sure that they actually want to do the job, but not too much in terms of actual training that would save us.
I can agree with this. I think there is a lot of psychological value for high GPAs. People may say it doesn't matter, but trust me, when an HR person is comparing a 3.9 versus a 3.3 between two resumes, that higher GPA will stand out, even if subconsciously.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
What degree does the student have? Are you looking for a list of job titles?

In my company I would look for-
- How relevant the degree is
- What the GPA was
- Honors earned while in school
- Activities and volunteer work while in school
- Enthusiasm and knowledge of our business

Old 06-12-2014, 03:21 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Really? My GPA sucked, but I've been employed at a part time job for 8 years and had another one for 3 years... show/showed up every day unless really sick, am/was on time and hard worker. I'm trying to relocate - I graduated 6 months ago - and still can't find anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search