Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:42 PM

18 posts, read 24,984 times

Advertisements

If you are applying for a job and read the entire posting, and it requires you need x years of experience or with a degree, then the jobseeker would need to be realistic about what ads they can apply to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 PM

12 posts, read 11,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
When attaching your resume to these online applications, be sure to copy the ENTIRE job description in the posting, paste it onto your resume, and then change the font color of the job description to white.

This way, the software will be able to pick up those keywords in your resume (especially if your resume and qualifications don't match the job description verbatim) so your resume is forwarded to a human being for review and it's not automatically dumped into that black hole where no one sees it by the software.

However, since the font color is white, the text of the job description you pasted into your resume won't actually be seen by the person reviewing it, or if someone were to print the resume.

I read that the keywords are highlighted on the recruiter's end, so even if you make the font white it still shows up as a big highlighted paragraph at the end of your resume and probably won't make a great impression. I think it would be better to incorporate those keywords throughout your resume.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 PM

469 posts, read 637,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confounded View Post
I read that the keywords are highlighted on the recruiter's end, so even if you make the font white it still shows up as a big highlighted paragraph at the end of your resume and probably won't make a great impression. I think it would be better to incorporate those keywords throughout your resume.

Good find. Where did you read this?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
This is dumb advice, and besides, do you really want to work for a company managed by dumb/oblivious people?
I rather avoid all together and focus on job ads that only require a email like

careerbuilder
idealist
indeed
craigslist

Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confounded View Post
I read that the keywords are highlighted on the recruiter's end...
You should always place an email "end stamp", like your sig, above the copied job description text. You should always do that in any "first email" so that people will know not to scroll down looking at blank space. Which can happen on some email readers because of a programming issue with pagination and scroll bars.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,930 times
Forget any silly things like this. Just include the keywords as part of your resume. If they are actually skills you have, I'm sure you can put them somewhere. After a while of looking for the job you want, you should know what the important skills are and if you have them. There are many things that can break the tactic of placing "hidden" text in a resume. The resume could be displayed as plain text (thus removing white from the text formatting), the keywords could be highlighted, etc. Some printers may even print that white text!

Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
I've never been employed for anything by applying on the internet, even when every single qualification matched mine verbatim on my resume, word for word, and at least half the job description, too. So that leads me to think there's no such effective way to get a job applying online with this silly software.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I've never been employed for anything by applying on the internet, even when every single qualification matched mine verbatim on my resume, word for word, and at least half the job description, too. So that leads me to think there's no such effective way to get a job applying online with this silly software.
You have to apply to jobs online that only require you to email your resume

Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 PM
g89

126 posts, read 179,719 times
seen this advice on reddit almost 4 years ago

i don't think its a good idea for reasons like others mentioned

Old 06-13-2014, 09:33 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
The software takes the resume and imports all the text that is readable. Just look at the typical ATS system like Taleo.

If you submit you attach your resume, it parses it out and breaks out your employment history by year. Sometimes, it gets confused and puts your education or objective with your experience. Imagine if you had a complete job description in white text. When it parses it into the web template for editing, it would be in black text again.

The search engine isn't opening up each word document to search the terms and closing it. All the data is in Taleo's data fields.

Try it out today. Start looking for jobs at Fortune 500 companies and apply at any job position. Attach your resume and it will import your information for their searchable fields. You don't have to submit it. Stop the process short of submission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search