Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 10:55 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's extremely time consuming! But as you point out, this is a highly competitive workforce and with the software in place knocking out a large percentage of applicants because their resumes do not match up with their qualifications, the only way you're going to increase your odds of landing a job is to tailor your resume so it gets through the system.

To me, the refusal to do that because it's too much trouble or takes too much time, is illustrates the type of employee that person would be.
So you'd rather have an employee that would put BS on their resume instead of one that is honest in what they do?

As I've said before, my resume is well-written, has good keywords, and above all else, honest. I've had several people in HR (who have no reason to BS me) compliment me on it. In fact, this led to an issue during an interview where the interviewer wanted to know about a certain function, and I was confused because it wasn't on my resume.

I know what positions and what fields I want to work in and my resume reflects that. To be quite honest, I'm not even sure what else would have to be tweaked to make it match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:10 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
This is my initial post on this thread:

Quote:
No, experts aren't pushing those ideas.

For most positions, two pages max is appropriate.

Do not go back more than ten years when listing your jobs, in most cases.

Tailor each resume so you're taking some of the exact phrases under qualifications in the job listing, and incorporating them under your job description - but be truthful.

Resumes should be as achievement-oriented as possible, and not task-oriented.

Their pride in sending a hundred resumes is misplaced. It's the number of interviews and offers you get that is the goal.

What part of my bolded statement above do you not understand that you're suggesting I think it's better that people "put BS on their resume"?

Secondly, when someone asks for advice, I am going to give them the best advice I can possibly give them, based on knowledge that I have. If I do not have such knowledge, I either don't participate in the thread because I have nothing to offer in the discussion, or I'll try to find an answer online if the subject interests me, and I preface my comment with "I have little knowledge about this topic but was able to find this online."

If YOU do not wish to take such advice that is your prerogative. If you find you are getting through all the software without tailoring your resume - good for you. But do not try and justify your choice by claiming this isn't necessary when there are countless experts who have written articles about this subject.

Instead of wasting your time arguing about this, try educating yourself.

Good luck with your job search, I'm sure with your well-written, highly complimented resume you'll have a new job by Monday.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Fact: When a company posts a position is available, they want qualified applicants, not everyone that sends out resumes to 100 per week. The vast majority of the jobs are not jobs the applicant is qualified or educated for, just jobs listed as available.

Fact: The modern company is going to use a computer, to eliminate all the people that apply, but are not qualified for the job due to lack of education or experience. They will receive enough applicants that are somewhat qualified or very qualified for the job, so they just want to send the rest to the garbage can. Even looking at the rest, would just be a waste of time.

A generic resume that is not tailored to show you are qualified for the job, is automatically rejected by the computer. You may be qualified to be considered, but if your resume does not show it, you are eliminated. The reason for a tailor made resume, applying for that particular job is the only way to get considered for the job.

Fact: Every job applicant is a salesperson. You are selling a prospective employer on your being the best applicant and should be hired. In sales where I have spent my life and I am 82 years old, there has to be a door opener phase. Until you are in the door, you cannot sell to the customer (employer in this case). Consider your resume, your door opener. If you want to get into the door for an interview, you first have to get the perspective employers attention and want to invite you into their office for your sales pitch (the interview), your resume has to open the door.

Any test you are asked to take, is like a prospect telling a salesperson to make up a list of specs that show why their product is what they need. Completing the test with a reasonably high grade, and within a certain time frame, is laying out your specs in the sales world.

The interview, is your sales presentation. A poor presentation, and the sales person does not get a sale. A good presentation, and you will be considered to be a supplier. The same for the applicant. The better sales presentation selling yourself, the better chance of getting a job.

Every time you apply for a job, always first consider how to sell yourself as an applicant. Tailor the resume, and application, to attract the prospective employers interest. Consider if you were the employer, how someone with your education and background would best apply for the job and get your attention.

If you are asked to take a test, take it willingly, and within a reasonable length of time.

If you are fortunate enough to get an interview, come to the interview as a strong individual. A firm handshake, but not overpowering. A weak handshake, can get you rejected right there. It says you are a weak individual to prospective employers. Not pushy, but someone that is not afraid of the world, or the interviewer. Don't hesitate to answer any question. Show them that you can think on your feet, and able to respond to any question in a reasonably quick manner.

I am speaking as someone that has sat on the employers side of the table hundreds of times over the years, and having talked to others in the same position.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
I think someone once said that resumes are like poop; everyone else's stink, but your own. Most people never find errors in their own and think their's is what everyone else should look to be like regardless of specific industry trends.

The best thing I can say is ask people in your preferred industry and cater resumes for each job. You can have a base for the generic job title but then tailor it towards the specific title, duties and requirements of this job and submit the TAILORED one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search