Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:11 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
The worst part is that companies will spend all kinds of money on these interviewing techniques and computer programs and still overlook glaring discrepancies, like the girl who was going to school in one state, but has a full-time job in a different state listed on the resume, during the same time period. This is but one of the many examples of what was handed to me by our HR recruiters when I used to interview people.
Did she attend online? I live in Texas and graduated from a public school in New Jersey. I will also be attending a graduate school that is a few hundred miles away from me. When I fill out applications, I have to put the location of the school. There is no option for "online" or "distance education."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I don’t like STAR format questions.

I often wonder how many people just tell BS stories when those questions are asked. I've told some whoppers.
Most people have integrity and don't lie through their teeth to get a job. Have some self respect...

Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
When asked about your education, and you tell them you went to X University, where X is a decent 2nd-tier school..

Then they ask you "Why didn't you go to Y University?", where Y is a 1st tier school, e.g. Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, etc.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Most people have integrity and don't lie through their teeth to get a job. Have some self respect...
It is not about being honest or having integrity most people simply don't behave like Jim Carey in the movie Liar Liar.

It is expected that you present yourself in the best possible light and package yourself accordingly. Do you honestly believe all the claims and hyperbole on the packaging of a product when you buy it at the store?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It is not about being honest or having integrity most people simply don't behave like Jim Carey in the movie Liar Liar.

It is expected that you present yourself in the best possible light and package yourself accordingly. Do you honestly believe all the claims and hyperbole on the packaging of a product when you buy it at the store?
Presenting yourself in the best light and flat out making things up are very different things. Leaving a job you didn't do well at off a resume is very different than fabricating work you did to impress an interviewer.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
I don't like most interview questions, because I don't feel they assess the interviewee most accurately. I'm simple. Just tell me what the job entails and I will tell you if I can do it or if I want to do it.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Presenting yourself in the best light and flat out making things up are very different things. Leaving a job you didn't do well at off a resume is very different than fabricating work you did to impress an interviewer.
That is what you have to do now a days especially with this new stupid behavioral interviewing. What are you supposed to do if you don't have a story to tell that is a good example of the story asked. You have to kind of spin one together hopefully with an element of truth but twisted, embellished, and spun so that it fits the topic.

My favorite is describe a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you handled it. I never really had a significant conflict with a coworker but I embellished an example and twisted it to portray myself in a positive light. Employers are more interested in BS and sales pitches at interviews rather than assessing if you can do the job well so I give them what they want.

Almost all interesting stories are part fiction anyways. Hollywood does this all the time. They take a boring story from the news or history and add stuff to make it more juicy rather than seem like a documentary off the History Channel (even the history channel has to spin and cherry pick stuff a little so it isn't boring like CSPAN).

Last edited by MSchemist80; 12-29-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-29-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That is what you have to do now a days especially with this new stupid behavioral interviewing. What are you supposed to do if you don't have a story to tell that is a good example of the story asked. You have to kind of spin one together hopefully with an element of truth but twisted, embellished, and spun so that it fits the topic.

My favorite is describe a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you handled it. I never really had a significant conflict with a coworker but I embellished an example and twisted it to portray myself in a positive light. Employers are more interested in BS and sales pitches at interviews rather than assessing if you can do the job well so I give them what they want.

Almost all interesting stories are part fiction anyways. Hollywood does this all the time. They take a boring story from the news or history and add stuff to make it more juicy rather than seem like a documentary off the History Channel (even the history channel has to spin and cherry pick stuff a little so it isn't boring like CSPAN).
Or you could be good enough at what you do to not have to lie. Just an idea.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:46 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
I think you’re getting a little too excited about what I wrote. Some the “whoppers” I’ve told where based actual events, but embellished. I’m sure a lot of recruiters would like to hear that I’m in Houston relaying important information on how to save the crew of Apollo 13. The truth be told a number of work environments are not really that interesting, thus the need to embellish the mundane.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Being good at what you do has no relation to having and being able to tell interesting stories at a behavioral interview.

The ones I went to have had no interest in technical challenges, or expertise I have. They are all psychobabble type questions such as the aforementioned describe a time when you had a conflict with a coworker. That is what drives me crazy when I see interviews now a days they don't at all focus on qualifications it is like a bad psychology exam, story telling contest, and sales pitch talent competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search