Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,500,893 times

Advertisements

If interviewing at multiple companies and having multiple offers on the table, is it a good idea to tell companies you have other job offers you are considering?

I am asking this mostly in regard to being given extra time to make a decision on the offer. I've noticed many employers want you to respond to an offer within 1-2 days max, and some plain scoff at taking a week (or more) to make your decision. I've had situations like this where I wanted about a week to mull over two or more job offers, but I've personally always restrained from actually saying that was why I needed the time. I will usually instead just say I need some time to talk it over with my spouse and that I want to make a solid decision. (Which for the record is also true). Anyway, I sometimes get a sketchy look from employers with this, and I feel they think I should be able to make a decision quicker with what I tell them being the circumstances.

I think admitting to a company I was considering another job offer would certainly be a more understandable reason on why I need some time to reach my decision, but I would be afraid of saying this and having it completely backfire. Call me paranoid maybe, but I would be worried that the hiring manager may think I'm not completely interested in their position or that I think I am above their company or what not. This then can possibly lead to them reconsidering my job offer, perhaps beginning to interview other candidates they were considering, and ultimately, a change of heart from the employer about me.

What do people think? Is it ok to tell employers that I have other job offers I am considering, or is it best to just say I need time to talk it over with my spouse/make an informed decision like I have been doing? Looking forward to your thoughts, thank you!

EDIT: The only time I've ever told a company I have another offer is if I'm still interviewing with them and I want them to rush along the interview process and what not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times
I would just say you would like some time to consider the offer and not say anything about other offers.

From a hiring managers perspective, a week ("or more") to consider an offer is excessive unless you are at the C-level of a Fortune 500 company. In general, people think about it overnight and get back to the company by end of day the following day.

Waiting a week does not make people happy because they will have wasted another week in the process, only to perhaps be told no, I've decided not to take the job. And even if you take the job, then you turn in your two week notice and it's three weeks before you start. It could also raise a red flag as to your decision making ability, particularly in fast-paced environments.

I would tell a person I was considering hiring that I need a decision sooner, if they asked for a week.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,747,284 times
If they ask you? No, not a big deal. If they do not ask, I wouldn't bring it up.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
It can go either way. I have been in this situation a few times, most recently 2 years ago. The person I selected was offered the job and let HR know that he was considering another offer and needed a day to think about it. He was clearly the best candidate, about 9 out of 10 with the next best being about 6. I asked HR to call him back and go over the details about the benefits, flexible work schedule, and opportunities for advancement. He accepted the same day. We were still not able to increase his starting pay, because the initial offer was as high as we can go by policy and we told him that when the offer was made.

I have had other cases where 2-3 people were about equally qualified, and after an offer withdrew it when the person told us they had another offer and kept delaying their decision. On to the next.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
If they ask if I have other interviews/offers, I answer honestly. If they don't ask, I don't volunteer that information.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:16 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,784,618 times
Lets look at it from an employers point of view.

The employer has spent considerable time and expense to get it down to you being the best applicant. In most situations there is someone else worth hiring. Their need is now to know they have the new employee, so they can get back to normal operation.

When you ask them for a week or two to think about it, unless you are someone that is hard to replace as the first choice, they will just pass you by and take the next person on the list so they can get back to normal operation mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search