Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 03:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,734,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The issue is the OP asked for everyone's opinion on the subject.

So the uproar about my opinion has been unnecessary.
I know, I've given my two cents here. I know we want to hear real feedback but can we handle criticism real well? We may claim we do but when we hear it do we get defensive and don't listen or do we listen and take heed. I admit, I do both but it depends on how it is said and if there was a motive or limiting factor behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 03:32 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,677,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I know, I've given my two cents here. I know we want to hear real feedback but can we handle criticism real well? We may claim we do but when we hear it do we get defensive and don't listen or do we listen and take heed. I admit, I do both but it depends on how it is said and if there was a motive or limiting factor behind it.
I think a lot of this has to do that we, as a society, get too offended WAYYYY too easily without seeing the big picture and start clutching our pearls.

For example: the KFC girl. Everyone FREAKED out about KFC doing this, when it appears that the story was a hoax, and why were people missing the big point, that this same family allowed her in a yard with 10 freaking pit bulls and an easily accessible firearm?

Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,734,032 times
Default Sorry if this goes off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
I think a lot of this has to do that we, as a society, get too offended WAYYYY too easily without seeing the big picture and start clutching our pearls.

For example: the KFC girl. Everyone FREAKED out about KFC doing this, when it appears that the story was a hoax, and why were people missing the big point, that this same family allowed her in a yard with 10 freaking pit bulls and an easily accessible firearm?
That happens with MANY cause celebs. For example the Tigger attack at Walt Disney World in 2007, the homophobic non-tip, the job board and the Bronx "bullying" death. We look at the end result because that's all the news ever shows and not what led to that (whether it is not put out intentionally or not is a different issue.)

We as a society are very defensive and become "momma bear" very easily over the slightest thing like returning a kid while you were on your phone and didn't realize your kid walked off because you touched the kid. In this case we might get slight criticism and just fly off the handle. Like with resumes, everyone's resume sucks except those that use your exact style even if it's in a different industry. When you are challenged on it, you bring the boxing gloves out of mothballs.

Americans on a whole, need to slow their roll and listen and process information. I know it takes a while but it's better to think about that text, tweet or status update than to actually post it. I need to do this too.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That happens with MANY cause celebs. For example the Tigger attack at Walt Disney World in 2007, the homophobic non-tip, the job board and the Bronx "bullying" death. We look at the end result because that's all the news ever shows and not what led to that (whether it is not put out intentionally or not is a different issue.)

We as a society are very defensive and become "momma bear" very easily over the slightest thing like returning a kid while you were on your phone and didn't realize your kid walked off because you touched the kid. In this case we might get slight criticism and just fly off the handle. Like with resumes, everyone's resume sucks except those that use your exact style even if it's in a different industry. When you are challenged on it, you bring the boxing gloves out of mothballs.

Americans on a whole, need to slow their roll and listen and process information. I know it takes a while but it's better to think about that text, tweet or status update than to actually post it. I need to do this too.

The internet has allowed us to get really, really stupid.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,680,035 times
Quote:
I would rather the rejection letter be honest. This way I know what I need to fix. By sending me a mass email along with 200 other applicants just means that an actual person never viewed it and I am nothing more than a piece of paper.
There is only one reason someone else got the job. They impressed the HM more than you did. Things that impress the HM are.

1: They have more education and experience relative to the job. Possibly they wrote a better resume than you do, directly related to the job, not a generic one.

2: They made a better impression, in the interviews. They answered all questions no matter what they were, in a way that satisfied the HM. They impressed the HM that they would be a better fit, both to do the job, and as a work mate to the other employees. Their attitude was more positive than yours. There are many things that even the HM cannot point out as the most important, that gave a better impression.

3: The HM just enjoyed the attitude and personality of the other applicant more than they did yours. If the other person gave an impression they could get things done, friendly person that the HM felt more closely related to, and you did not have the same warmth, this alone will get many people a job. I know it is my attitude and ability in the interview, that has made it possible for me to never be out of work more than a week in 50 years. It is the reason I was a very successful salesman, and a successful businessman.

The truth is, why you did not get the job, and did something wrong that you can improve on, is not something the HM could even tell you if they wanted to. The truth is, the other person impressed them more than you did, and they got the job.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 PM

723 posts, read 2,187,738 times
Op, I should've mentioned this earlier when I saw the thread.

from the email you received it looks like ok ok you were rejected for one reason or another but the fact that they're willing to still work with you is extremely important. How about this: I went through an interview where the interviewer said straight up that I was unqualified for the position (and I was, it was a "reach" position and I was very shocked to get invited to the interview). Utterly blown away by the bluntness, I felt defeated.

Two weeks later I get the first of four new openings sent to me from the interviewer. I ultimately apply for each and am rejected for three. The last one however I was able to get through the phone interview and get to the in person interview. Lo and behold an individual from the last interview panel was the hiring manager for this position! The previous interviewer put a very good word in for me and had clout with this manager. At this point I racked up several hours of interviewing with the company and was ultimately offered the position.

Don't give up! Keep trying and working on your skills.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,619,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There is only one reason someone else got the job. They impressed the HM more than you did. Things that impress the HM are.

That is not always the case. Ever heard of nepotism? Ever heard of people bringing in their friends, relatives, etc for jobs and they don't even interview them? Don't be naive about this. Wake up and get your head out of the sand.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
That is not always the case. Ever heard of nepotism? Ever heard of people bringing in their friends, relatives, etc for jobs and they don't even interview them? Don't be naive about this. Wake up and get your head out of the sand.
Technically, being a friend/relative of the hiring manager does in fact mean they impress them more than you do.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:01 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,619,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Technically, being a friend/relative of the hiring manager does in fact mean they impress them more than you do.

They just are handed the job due to being a friend or relative is my point. No impressing needed. And in some cases they are not always the best choice.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,463,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

1: They have more education and experience relative to the job. Possibly they wrote a better resume than you do, directly related to the job, not a generic one.

2: They made a better impression, in the interviews. They answered all questions no matter what they were, in a way that satisfied the HM. They impressed the HM that they would be a better fit, both to do the job, and as a work mate to the other employees. Their attitude was more positive than yours. There are many things that even the HM cannot point out as the most important, that gave a better impression.

3: The HM just enjoyed the attitude and personality of the other applicant more than they did yours. If the other person gave an impression they could get things done, friendly person that the HM felt more closely related to, and you did not have the same warmth, this alone will get many people a job. I know it is my attitude and ability in the interview, that has made it possible for me to never be out of work more than a week in 50 years. It is the reason I was a very successful salesman, and a successful businessman.

The truth is, why you did not get the job, and did something wrong that you can improve on, is not something the HM could even tell you if they wanted to. The truth is, the other person impressed them more than you did, and they got the job.

I'll add to the list of why people not only didn't get the job, but weren't even considered. If the cover letter is poorly written or the resume is poorly written or too long (exceeding three pages), it is likely you won't be considered for the position at all.

As for the interviewing process, if you speak in a monotone or lack energy and enthusiasm, if you don't smile while speaking or greeting people, you probably won't be getting the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search