Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:32 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,724,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So "They found someone else that is a better fit for the position" is not the real reason then?

It's the legally correct reason to give, but not the real reason. The problem is the legally correct reason still doesn't tell a candidate why they weren't the right fit.

Yes, it is. They're not contradictory in any way, shape or form.

The real reason is they found someone that is a better fit.

Why they are a better fit is a different question. Completely different question.

If you want the answer to the second question, unless you have a good relationship with them (as I explained), you won't get it, and quite frankly, you are in no way, shape or form, entitled to it. And if you take that part of the equation personally, good thing they dodged a bullet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 02:35 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,690,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, it is. They're not contradictory in any way, shape or form.

The real reason is they found someone that is a better fit.

Why they are a better fit is a different question. Completely different question.

If you want the answer to the second question, unless you have a good relationship with them (as I explained), you won't get it, and quite frankly, you are in no way, shape or form, entitled to it.
^^^I hope you aren't this passive-aggressive when working with job candidates.

If so, I feel sorry for them...

Old 06-25-2014, 02:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,463,820 times
Quote:
^^^I hope you aren't this passive-aggressive when working with job candidates.

If so, I feel sorry for them...

You really do not understand what it means to be passive-aggressive. i would stop using this phrase if I were you.

But the poster was being honest and very clear about it without cloaking anything.

Aren't you one of the people insisting on details as to why people feel the way they do? There you go.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
But the poster was being honest and very clear about it without cloaking anything.
They're not being honest and clear about anything. They're being evasive and intentionally difficult with sharp tongue responses that didn't address the point.

Quite frankly, it's foolish to think when someone's rejected, they would want to know or hear anything else other than the reason why they were not a good fit.

If a girl rejects your invitation for a date, wouldn't you want to know what they thought was wrong with you?

Old 06-25-2014, 02:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,463,820 times
Quote:
They're not being honest and clear about anything. They're being evasive and intentionally difficult with sharp tongue responses that didn't address the point.
You mean like this?

Quote:
Have you seen a shrink recently, or did someone lend you some of their good "pick-me-ups?"

Please do not cry foul about sharp tongues when you are guilty of posts like the one above.

For every person who wants to know the specifics, there is another who doesn't want to hear it. The person sending the email offered him or herself as a resource. It's up to the op to take that offer and ask for the specifics.

I will again repeat that no matter what anyone in a company does, there are always a hundred people saying it's the wrong thing to do or wasn't good enough.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Please do not cry foul about sharp tongues when you are guilty of posts like the one above.
Nothing rude about that question.

It was a direct, honest, straight-to-the-point inquiry, as the poster kept responding with affirmations and euphemisms in an almost robotic fashion.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:59 PM

346 posts, read 547,138 times
True. And I suspect that 99.99999% of interviewees would be satisfied with "you're not the right fit" and move on with their lives.

Quote:

For every person who wants to know the specifics, there is another who doesn't want to hear it. The person sending the email offered him or herself as a resource. It's up to the op to take that offer and ask for the specifics.

I will again repeat that no matter what anyone in a company does, there are always a hundred people saying it's the wrong thing to do or wasn't good enough.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
The person sending the email offered him or herself as a resource. It's up to the op to take that offer and ask for the specifics.
Someone offering themselves as a resource for future job openings within the company can mean anything.

That doesn't mean responding will give you feedback on why you were rejected for not being a good fit.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,836,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
Where did she explain why? Nowhere. Everything is vague and generic. I would actually appreciate it if people would say
  • Your skills are lacking in so-and-so areas
  • You're not good-looking enough
  • Your desired salary was too high
  • You stuttered too many times
  • You don't seem smart enough to handle the position

or something like that. Maybe then I could figure out why I can't get the jobs I'm applying for and sometimes getting interviews for.

C'mon ... That's not a real offer.

The feeling of rejection is a negative feeling.
You really need to work on your issues.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,680,035 times
Why do so many people want an exact reason, why they are not hired, and expect the company to provide it? It is rediculous they even expect it. Lets look at it from the employers point of view.

1: With all the applications they receive, they physically do not have the time to answer each one and give a reason. Most applications will never even see the light of day, as a computer will eliminate them because they do not meet the companies needs. They are only interested in the ones that exactly match or exceed their minimum requirements.

2: Their legal department, will not let them give you reasons you are not hired. Some people get mad when they are told why they are not good enough and sue the company to get even. The company is not going to stick it's neck out and thus avoid law suites.

3: The real reason the other person is hired, is they impressed the HM more than you did. They may have had the better experience of education. They have done a better job preparing their application or resume than you did, even though you were both equal in education and experience. They may have done better in personal interviews than you did. They may have quickly answered all questions asked, and hou were hestitant or had a hard time coming up with an answer. If you did not answer some question as you did not feel it was pertinant, and the perso getting the job did answer it, that alone may be the reason the other person was hired. If you had to take a test, they may have answered the questions more in line with what the compay wanted to see, than you did.

The truth is, they HM may not know why you were not hired. What they do know, is the person that got the job, was as well or better qualified than you were, and impressed the HM more favorably than you did. When I say you, that includes all the people that were not hired.

To expect them to tell you exactly why you were not hired and someone else was, is completely unresonable on your part. Truthfully they may not be able to even give you an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search