Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 09:57 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

Really hit and miss. Recent examples:

One company guy called me from my LinkedIn submission. He called me asking me if I remember talking to him...back in 2015. No....I don't. Why the hell would I? He stated he doesn't think he could help with the position I applied for but offered a temp position that paid 40% lower. I told him thanks but no thanks at this time.

Same type of submission. Guy called me the next day and we had a great 30 minute chat. He made some adjustments to my resume which he thought the company would like and submitted it. The hiring company is still working on submission on the new contract so still pending.

Found my resume online. I believe its for the same position as #1. Rep and I texted a few times then she wanted to chat. I couldn't chat and offered the next day. I called her, left a message, no call back...ever.

I used one years ago for a temp job and got a offer a few years for a different good job thru the company. I passed on the offer as I received a better offer elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 11:18 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
One thing about staffing agencies is: Beware of the recruiter who is on "database entry" mode.

They call you up and want to know all about you, your experience, your education, your availability, all the yadda yadda you'd hear in a job interview.

Except there's no job.

They're just taking your info, putting it into a database and that's it.

Reasons you should beware:

* If they demand you come into their office an hour away and do an in person interview, it is 100% a waste of time.
* if they are in database entry mode, this means they are NOT placing people in other jobs. Business IS SLOW. This means this recruiter's commission check is going to go down and down until they quit to work at a Mcjob to make more money. This means you're not getting a job from them.

Oh sure, six months down the line, after you've already started a new job, they'll call you about some job opportunity......

Old 01-24-2022, 06:14 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
One thing about staffing agencies is: Beware of the recruiter who is on "database entry" mode.

They call you up and want to know all about you, your experience, your education, your availability, all the yadda yadda you'd hear in a job interview.

Except there's no job.

They're just taking your info, putting it into a database and that's it.

Reasons you should beware:

* If they demand you come into their office an hour away and do an in person interview, it is 100% a waste of time.
* if they are in database entry mode, this means they are NOT placing people in other jobs. Business IS SLOW. This means this recruiter's commission check is going to go down and down until they quit to work at a Mcjob to make more money. This means you're not getting a job from them.

Oh sure, six months down the line, after you've already started a new job, they'll call you about some job opportunity......
It's eerie that this post mimics my experiences with them. The last line especially. It's almost like they're psychic, only calling you when they know you're already employed. I've reached out to some periodically when I needed work, only to be replied with a "nope".

Old 04-22-2022, 09:57 PM

161 posts, read 136,843 times
Default Frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Well I had a pretty recent experience with a temp agency, mind you it is temp agency that actually did work out successfully in the past (assignment was about 5 months). The guy called up and asked if I would be interested in X (a position similar to the previous 5 month stint I did), I said yes, and he said that he would send over the information. It has been a week, I have followed up and still nothing, not even a "we went with someone else, position was cancelled etc..." - And that, that is why my regard for temp agencies are low to mixed. Given a choice between applying directly to a company vs going through a temp agency, I would 100% go with applying directly with a company. At worst temp agencies are a utter waste of time, at best they are a small tool in your job search.
I tend to agree, as when temp agencies call me re a job and I tell them it's alright to send my resume over to the possible employer, go through the interview process, etc.Wait and wait and WAIT to hear something..only to call the temp agency and have them tell me that the job was filled..or "they decided to go in another direction.."

With that, I've worked for many temp agencies and have been sent to one assignment at the most from them. I've been a great employee, showed up to work on time (and most times early), had excellent attendance, did my job right, etc. Rave reviews from all my employers, oftentimes getting my assignments extended many times.

With that, it seems that while they tell me my assignment is ending and that they will look for more work for me, it never happens. I've heard this from many other people working for temp services also..the "one and done" story. While I call often to see if they have other work for me..they just tell me that they're looking. Never hear anything from them again until many months later when they call re a position that is completely out of my being a "good fit" for the job.

Anyone else experience this?

Old 05-01-2022, 02:38 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
I know that I can google this or search these forums but I want to know what everyones experience is with staffing agencies. They seem perfect, but I am sure they aren't
Oh believe me they are the furthest thing from perfect. Out of all the employment places / possibilities they are the ones most full of s**t and they all love trying to convey the temps they hire to have delusions of grandeur. They love giving off the idea that if you are a good enough employee, for contract to higher jobs, that you will be made permanent after six months. The vast majority of the time that is a croc of bull. There are people who were told that and years later they are still contract to higher at the same exact place.

Under contract to higher, you have no rights as an employee and more abuses tend to happen under these arrangements. If you do so happen to have to take a contract to higher job, try to find a better situation as soon as possible. These recruiters at recruiting agencies are full of it, they are liars and many are also incompetent and you cannot trust them!!

Old 05-01-2022, 06:32 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
.... contract to higher jobs.....
Under contract to higher... contract to higher job....
It's contract to hire, not contract to higher.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:57 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
It's contract to hire, not contract to higher.
It still a crappy role, no matter what!!

Old 05-02-2022, 04:59 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Oh believe me they are the furthest thing from perfect. Out of all the employment places / possibilities they are the ones most full of s**t and they all love trying to convey the temps they hire to have delusions of grandeur. They love giving off the idea that if you are a good enough employee, for contract to higher jobs, that you will be made permanent after six months. The vast majority of the time that is a croc of bull. There are people who were told that and years later they are still contract to higher at the same exact place.

Under contract to higher, you have no rights as an employee and more abuses tend to happen under these arrangements. If you do so happen to have to take a contract to higher job, try to find a better situation as soon as possible. These recruiters at recruiting agencies are full of it, they are liars and many are also incompetent and you cannot trust them!!
I suppose they're better than nothing, but if you do take on such jobs, get a clear timeline of when you're expected to go permanent. Even consider getting that in writing! If they email it to you, then save a copy of that email for yourself.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 208 times
I actually had a positive experience, but I think it depends on the agency. If you find one that builds real relationships with client employers and candidates I think they can be really helpful in making sure you're prepared & successful. I can only speak for myself, but I'm a teacher and I found a really good role through [url]https://www.i-teachers.com[/url] - For any UK teachers or aspiring teachers out there, I'd really recommend.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:49 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Posting here again because I have had a recent exp. Overall I would say temp/staffing agencies are mixed. I would def use them as "part of the tool belt" but my preference will always be applying directly to the company or using connections. I will say for those using temp agencies, unless your goal is to work "any job" that is you don't mind the data entry, customer service type work, then you better state plainly to your recruiter what type of work/what field you want to work in. Otherwise you will be bombarded with low level office work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search