U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,114 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of verbally accepted offer at Company A and rejecting that offer for another offer at Company B but my situation is unique.

I got an offer from Company A and there were some discussions about terms and they said pretty much they would like to know verbally I would take the offer if they met those terms and I said yes. They came back and they sort of met the terms part way. Pretty much I wanted A implicitly expecting B but what they did was give me A and by taking it away from B but it was sort of acceptable to me so I rolled with it.

A few days later I was given an offer by Company A but in a different division and on the same day the official paper work came in for the first offer.

Obviously sticking to my guns is the easy choice but are there severe consequences of I were to decline the first offer and accept the second? It's at the same company so I sort of wouldn't be blacklisted but it may hinder my opportunities of internal mobility which is somewhat important. Even though they didn't meet my terms 100% I know for a fact it still required effort on their part to meet me part way. This is a very large company (you would know it if I told you the name).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 AM

31,040 posts, read 14,648,294 times
I'm sorry, I'm finding that the way this is written is vague and a bit confusing, and that may be why nobody has replied yet.

Quote:
Pretty much I wanted A implicitly expecting B but what they did was give me A and by taking it away from B but it was sort of acceptable to me so I rolled with it.

A few days later I was given an offer by Company A but in a different division and on the same day the official paper work came in for the first offer.

The paragraph before references terms and then you say you wanted A expecting B, but they gave you A by taking it away from B.

What does that even mean?

Old 06-26-2014, 01:28 PM

Basically the first offer was willing to give me let's say 100k base with a 10k bonus. I ask for 105k base assuming they would keep they 10k bonus and they said they would try to match that if I verbally confirmed I would take the offer which I said sure. They came back with 105k base and a 5k bonus which to me is sort of not what I expected but I rolled with it since it was the only offer at the time

Then a second offer came along which as me slightly interested but I would be going back on my word in a way. Both offers are at the same company.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:03 PM

16,024 posts, read 24,617,440 times
Stick with the first offer.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:08 PM

31,040 posts, read 14,648,294 times
So you screwed yourself out of $5K.

When they said they would try to match that if you verbally confirmed you would take the offer, did you say sure before you knew what the offer was? And if so, what did you say after you heard the offer - or have you not yet replied?

It's difficult to say if there would be severe consequences if you declined the first offer and took the second. It depends on the culture of the company.

I'm curious about why you would even consider the second offer, which you said you were only "slightly interested in"? To me, that isn't enough interest to have me turn down the first offer.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Stick with the first offer.
Any supporting reasoning behind this?

I didn't really screw myself out of 5k. The comp is basically flat. It's just more guaranteed since it's rolled into my base. I knew going into it what the comp structure is like and that it was going to be an uphill battle. Basically I asked for 5k more. They said if we go through the approval process the guys up top want to know if you'll accept if they do this. I said yes. They came back with 5k more on the base and 5k less on the bonus which I didn't really expect them to take it out of my bonus. I knew I was probably already asking for more than what most people at my level make so I just said fine since overall I felt better about it. I didn't really say yes I'm still accepting but it was probably implicit by my saying let me know once the offer letter has been put together.

As to the second offer not being compelling. I'm just trying to make the right decision. I'm going to be in this job for a while so I'd better like it. I think I misspoke when I said slightly interested as I meant slightly more interested than the first one. My initial thoughts are that maybe the second offer might offer more opportunities for career growth than the first. Actually the first offer is paying "very slightly" more than the second but I find that to be a moot point. It should be mostly about which job is the best fit but I'm trying to determine the consequences of picking the second offer since the first offer is obviously the easy one to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search