Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:27 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,728,760 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what reasons you would rescind a job offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:03 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
Background check came back unacceptable (I do contingent offers).

Budget changes. Only had it happen once.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
I would never rescind an offer unless the candidate suddenly showed some change in attitude indicating he or she was going to be high maintenance and a problem. We do due diligence before an offer is made.

Over the past year, however, I've heard that this has happened quite a bit to people and I don't understand it. One offer was rescinded because the person tried negotiating salary. WTH - that's standard business procedure.

I think in most cases, rescinding an offer says a lot about the hiring manager and / or company - none of it good.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:33 PM

431 posts, read 599,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
One offer was rescinded because the person tried negotiating salary. WTH - that's standard business procedure.
That happened to me. I went through a 4 month, 5 interview process that included a fair bit of traveling. Before the offer was made, they knew how much I was being paid at my current job. The range they stated originally was $80K to $95K DOE. I was making $88K. They offered $72K. I told them I was interested but I was looking for closer to $90K. They said they'd get back to me. 10 minutes later I got an email telling me that they'd decided I may not be a "good fit" after all. To be honest, I wasn't too worried. With the low ball, I probably dodged a bullet there.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
That happened to me. I went through a 4 month, 5 interview process that included a fair bit of traveling. Before the offer was made, they knew how much I was being paid at my current job. The range they stated originally was $80K to $95K DOE. I was making $88K. They offered $72K. I told them I was interested but I was looking for closer to $90K. They said they'd get back to me. 10 minutes later I got an email telling me that they'd decided I may not be a "good fit" after all. To be honest, I wasn't too worried. With the low ball, I probably dodged a bullet there.
I agree, you dodged a bullet. I don't know what some of these people are thinking when their approach is to try and recruit talent and then offer them far less than they're making. I know they try to take advantage of people when they're unemployed, and I find that to be so disgusting I wouldn't want to work for any company or person who does that. What else could they possibly offer to make up for the deficit in income? I can't think of anything.

Apparently you weren't a good fit because you aren't a sucker.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:55 PM

147 posts, read 316,070 times
I would rescind a job offer if someone's background turned out to be unacceptable or if I found significant misrepresentation (lie about having a degree, lie about criminal convictions, significant variance on their dates of employment, job title, etc.).

Old 06-26-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltDragon View Post
I would rescind a job offer if someone's background turned out to be unacceptable or if I found significant misrepresentation (lie about having a degree, lie about criminal convictions, significant variance on their dates of employment, job title, etc.).

Why would you even make an offer before checking all of that out?

Last edited by MPowering1; 06-26-2014 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 03:11 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Why would you even make an offer being checking all of that out?
In my company we make an offer then do the background check. The offer letter states it's contingent on the background check and drug screening.

We have 20,000+ employees.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:12 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltDragon View Post

This is the only time I have ever had to rescind as well.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times
Define "significant variance on employment".

Here is what I am concerned about:

I was placed as a contractor with a company. I worked for the staffing firm. I was there for six months before I found an internal position with the company. (Different team, same company) To save space and time I just say I worked for that company on my resume the entire time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search