Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 06:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I'm talking about legal immigrants who are already here. What are you talking about?

You ignored the fact that there were Americans who were being shut out of the job market due to massive legal immigration?

"Complaining"? That's rather arrogant of you. I think that you would be complaining if your job got lost to an H1-B visa holder.

Don't you think that American citizens would also like to be "too busy working"?
They're being shut-out of the job market because they are not competitive on a global market. There is no two ways about it, especially in an industry like the tech industry which has a global reach, where their customers are global, and, therefore, their workforce is going to be global.

[in regards to American citizens who would like to be busy working, the solutions are in post #49]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 PM

384 posts, read 349,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
The problem isn't immigrants. The problem lies with companies who refuse to train and yet they want the fridge and kitchen sink for their positions.
It's not just companies that don't want to train. Individuals don't want to train either. We often see candidates that don't care to invest in themselves. My employer is not going in invest in someone who does not care to invest in themselves.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 PM

384 posts, read 349,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You must not be a programmer.

Any idiot can take pre-written modules and cobble them together into a program that functions only if it is used under very specific conditions. TCS is known for this.

The last job I had where I worked closely with offshore people and in-house TCS (Tata Consulting Services, an Indian firm) consultants, I had daily opportunities to closely scrutinize their code.

No commenting. No error handling of any kind. No flexibility. No restartability. You had to set the system up in an extremely specific manner in order for the code to run without errors, and of course no documentation was provided. No coding standards were followed and no "best practices" of any kind were adhered to. You could tell the modules were all from different authors simply by looking at the style and the use of whitespace. Some of the programmers used camel case, others used Pascal case. Some gave their variables sensible names, others named them "var1," "var2," etc. This lack of standardization makes the code harder to read and harder to support.

Basically, it was amateur hour.

They took a "one size fits all" approach to the integration they were paid to do and were working on an absurdly complex solution for a relatively simple integration. Their record-level storage staging was a joke. You had to use a string splitter to access the data elements and there was no need whatsoever for it when you could simply shred out the XML document-level stage using XQuery.

The lack of flexibility also meant that certain assumptions were made and hard-coded into the modules when flexibility was an absolute requirement in the requirements document that they signed off on. For example, all data in this system was integrated via flat files or XML files. Some of the flat files included a header row. Some didn't. The modules for integrating that data did NOT consider that and assumed that all flat files had a header row. So, on files that didn't have one, the first row of data was skipped. Genius.
The quality of programmer you receive depends on the technology being used. The good programmers quickly move to newer technologies. So when you're looking for programmers for really old technologies like XML and XQuery which have been outdated, you're going to get lower quality developers.

This is constant among immigrants and natives. No one wants to work with XML in 2014. Heck, no one wanted to work with it 5 years ago.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:37 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Any idiot can take pre-written modules and cobble them together into a program that functions only if it is used under very specific conditions.

Basically, it was amateur hour.
I was a programmer. What you're describing isn't a programmer issue. It's a management issue.

I'm working on trying to land a project right now and the prospect is asking all the wrong questions if they want to get a quality system built. But I'm pretty sure I won't be able to educate them on their mistakes and will lose the opportunity to create quality software for them. I don't know for sure how companies are being brainwashed or by who. But convincing prospects to let you create good software using proper methods is a real hard sell.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Practices like this are the norm, not the exception.
That seems to still be the case. I'm always saying "...we'll use a great process and create a great system for you" but no one seems to hear or they just don't care.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
The quality of programmer you receive depends on the technology being used.
That's not quite right. While most people have learned that it is good to stay current. Many times great people stay with a technology because the pay is good.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
They're being shut-out of the job market because they are not competitive on a global market. There is no two ways about it, especially in an industry like the tech industry which has a global reach, where their customers are global, and, therefore, their workforce is going to be global.

[in regards to American citizens who would like to be busy working, the solutions are in post #49]
In other words, H1-Bs get hired over Americans because they are basically indentured servants who are willing to accept more money than Americans. They stay with one employer for at least 6 years with the hope of getting a green card.

Would you like to work for the same salary as someone in, for example, India, is making doing your exact same job? After all, since you are a cheerleader for "globalism", that may well happen to you. Yet I bet you are feeling smug that this won't happen to you. Am I correct?

As for post #49---It's total nonsense. Once again, Americans do have those skills but are being passed over in favor of H1-Bs. Either that, or they get discriminated against because the ones doing the hiring are Indians.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
When so many young Americans complain their is no jobs for them, apparently they are right, if they live in an area of lots of immigration both legal and illegal.

Study: All Employment Growth Since 2000 Went to Immigrants | National Review Online
I have always said that their needs to be immigration along with labor reform in this country, but also in certain states as well.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
When so many young Americans complain their is no jobs for them, apparently they are right, if they live in an area of lots of immigration both legal and illegal.

Study: All Employment Growth Since 2000 Went to Immigrants | National Review Online
I think its awesome that the very people who support "immigration reform" and call us people that want strong border security and limited opportunity for illegals "xenophobes and racists" are the very one suffering under the weight of the policy that they support.

Young blacks and Hispanics have been hit the hardest, with unemployment rates upwards of 50% in some regions. Fresh college grads are finding it difficult to find jobs as well.

Enjoy!

Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yet another "bash young people" thread...

It's pretty sad to know this is the only form of excitement for many on this forum.

And I know some will have a fresh-mouth response to my post. If that makes them feel better, more power to them.
I agree.

It isn't bashing but gloating over what a job we, by "we" I am meaning those of us here who are over 40, destroyed their futures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search