Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:39 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times

Advertisements

When so many young Americans complain their is no jobs for them, apparently they are right, if they live in an area of lots of immigration both legal and illegal.

Study: All Employment Growth Since 2000 Went to Immigrants | National Review Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 11:53 AM

336 posts, read 589,702 times
Aren't they applying for the same jobs for which immigrants are also applying?

If some happen to not be as competitive or as qualified to do the job(s), does that mean there was/were no job(s) for them?

Immigrants aren't the problem here.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
Aren't they applying for the same jobs for which immigrants are also applying?

If some happen to not be as competitive or as qualified to do the job(s), does that mean there was/were no job(s) for them?

Immigrants aren't the problem here.
Uh, yes they are.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:03 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Uh, yes they are.
They work harder for less pay, is that the problem? I see that as strong competition.

Young Americans born here need to understand the competition and reassess their strategy to get the job. Also, so many young Americans think they are too good for jobs (IMO), they can just live at home until their 40.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:16 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
It's from CIS, an anti immigration think tank... not exactly a great resource. It's all they publish.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:41 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Hmm, are you saying CIS might be biased? Surely not!

Recently we've had published studies that apparently prove immigration actually improves employment in a country so I guess it just depends on which article you read that reinforces your preconceived ideas.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:44 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Yet another "bash young people" thread...

It's pretty sad to know this is the only form of excitement for many on this forum.

And I know some will have a fresh-mouth response to my post. If that makes them feel better, more power to them.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:55 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Mach50 has it right, I know a guy who owns a manufacturing plant & tells me he almost always prefers immigrants (legal) since the Americans he has hired tend not to be as motivated & tend to slack off all the time & complain. The immigrants just do the work better since they are happy for it, the native-born feel more entitled, spending on the job time on personal calls & texting or just disappearing.

Illegal immigrants in my experience are doing extremely low-level work that most Americans would have an opportunity to avoid unless they gave up on basic education & skills training, it's sad if they are competing for jobs as migrant farm workers, motel maids & the such.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:07 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yet another "bash young people" thread...

It's pretty sad to know this is the only form of excitement for many on this forum.

And I know some will have a fresh-mouth response to my post. If that makes them feel better, more power to them.
Yep.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Unemployment rate goes down (U3 rate), while U6 rate is real high.

Yes unemployment rate goes down, but the jobs are mostly part time and low paid in much of the country.

Jobs Return to Peak, but Quality Lags - WSJ

This is the reason that immigrants are the ones getting the majority of the new jobs in much of the country. They are low paid and part time, which young Americans don't want.

Note the states where the posters are complaining about being able to get jobs, are the low ranked ones on these charts.

Infographics: Mapping the States.

The companies that are moving their factories to other states, are the ones in states with low ranking for business. Good example Toyota moving out of California.

The states that companies located in the low ranking business states, are putting their new facilities in high ranking business states. Good example: Apple going to manufacture lap top computers in U.S. and are putting the billion dollar facility in Texas. 10 foreign companies, have put their big auto plants, in business friendly states.

This is a good reason, that some parts of the country are doing great, but others are suffering, and to compound the employment problem, the majority of new jobs in those states are low paid/part time, taken by immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search