Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 AM

11 posts, read 10,778 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I posted this at another section but I just found this section was more relevant. Sorry if you came across this post before.

I am having a tough and tricky situation about jobs. Hope someone can give me some tips. Sorry for the long post and really appreciate any opinions

I got out of graduate school one month ago and started working at a very small company for just one month. (Job market is tough in my field and that is why I accepted this position) But in this company there is no benefit so far and even no vacation time for the first year and you have to take your own time to go to see a doctor,. Most importantly I feel there are not too many resources and very limited growth potential . Now a top company in my filed invited me for an onsite interview. It is a position that I really want and the work there is interesting . I did not list my current job on my resume since I have not officially started my work at this small company by the time I applied the new position. So the new company does not know I am working and I did not mention it in the phone interview ( they did not bring it up)

I talked to a couple of friends and there are some mixed opinions.

One friend said I should not bring this up and should possibly hide this short period if they do not bring it up at the interview. But it is hard to avoid it since I have moved to a different city( different address in my resume). I want to be honest and do not want to make up any reasons. He said the company would never hire a person who left work after just one month. I know it is about loyalty but the two companies are not comparable and I am ready to make commitment to the big company. I don't feel fair about this. The company can fire you anytime. Later I know the small company I am working for fired a girl after she worked there for a couple of months.

Another opinion is that I should bring my updated resume with this short working experience and bring it up at the onsite interview. It is better than they ask me about it. But then I have to explain to probably 7-8 people and that is pretty risky.

Someone even said I should call the HR or hiring manager immediately.

I am really anxious about it now. Since I just graduated, if I find another job, I would not even list this short working experience at all in my future resume but now it seems to be so hard to deal with.

Thank you so much for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I would not include the job in either the resume or discussion. The company interviewing you may think you're only going to take the job until something better comes along.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:38 AM

11 posts, read 10,778 times
Thanks Mpowering. But I feel they might ask and then I have to tell the truth...but if I tell one interviewer and it would look bad if I don't tell others( it is a one day interview) that is why I think it might be better to bring it up myself. The two companies are not comparable and I am really ready to make commitment t. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I would not include the job in either the resume or discussion. The company interviewing you may think you're only going to take the job until something better comes along.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:57 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times
I think if they ask, you tell them that you took a job at company X and had intended to stay there long-term. However, you had applied to this job before accepting the other position, and this one is really your dream opportunity because of reasons A, B, and C.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureaaa View Post
Thanks Mpowering. But I feel they might ask and then I have to tell the truth...but if I tell one interviewer and it would look bad if I don't tell others( it is a one day interview) that is why I think it might be better to bring it up myself. The two companies are not comparable and I am really ready to make commitment t. What do you think?

I think you should do what you feel might be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search