Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 10:23 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,634,906 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at new positions and have been in contact with a few headhunters.

Every once in awhile, I get a recruiter calling about an opening of a position that does interest me (and is actually position wise, what I'm looking for) but is a contract position and the pay is not only well below market rate, but is lower than what I'm currently making.

I tell them I've been looking at salaried positions between 55-65k doing the same thing with full benefits.

They then go on saying the can offer benefits (1 week paid vacation after a year and healthcare for $87/week for a high deducible plan)... I'm like... I get 12 days paid vacation and my healthcare is around $12/week for HDHP, plus I get 401K match, and your hourly rate is $22/hr, which is less than what I make and is $6-10k under market rate.

I told them if they went to $30/hr, I would consider (it's around 62k, and when you subtract benefits, it's equal to 57-58k).

Plus a number of these are out of state, which I'm fine with, but not for a 6 month contract job with no relocation or anything. Why would anyone move half-way across the country for a temp position making less than they currently are?

Really? Is this due to the company itself being too cheap or the headhunting company just not being realistic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
Both I'm afraid the company wants cheap disposible workers and the agencies are trolling for the most desperate sucker to take their rediculously underpaying crap job so they can maximize their profit margin. They are basically pimps.

I get this a lot in my profession as well. Companies wanting to pay $15 an hour no benefits contract.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Both I'm afraid the company wants cheap disposible workers and the agencies are trolling for the most desperate sucker to take their rediculously underpaying crap job so they can maximize their profit margin. They are basically pimps.

I get this a lot in my profession as well. Companies wanting to pay $15 an hour no benefits contract.
The weird thing is a few of these companies are large F500 as well. And the common theme is the recruiters appear to be offshore. The recruiters that are US based seem to be much, much more helpful.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
A lot of the big corps near me pack their place with contractors and the recruiters make a killing off it offering crap wages and no benefits. It seems neither side is to concerned with attracting and retaining the best talent.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 AM

322 posts, read 384,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I've been looking at new positions and have been in contact with a few headhunters.

Every once in awhile, I get a recruiter calling about an opening of a position that does interest me (and is actually position wise, what I'm looking for) but is a contract position and the pay is not only well below market rate, but is lower than what I'm currently making.

I tell them I've been looking at salaried positions between 55-65k doing the same thing with full benefits.

They then go on saying the can offer benefits (1 week paid vacation after a year and healthcare for $87/week for a high deducible plan)... I'm like... I get 12 days paid vacation and my healthcare is around $12/week for HDHP, plus I get 401K match, and your hourly rate is $22/hr, which is less than what I make and is $6-10k under market rate.

I told them if they went to $30/hr, I would consider (it's around 62k, and when you subtract benefits, it's equal to 57-58k).

Plus a number of these are out of state, which I'm fine with, but not for a 6 month contract job with no relocation or anything. Why would anyone move half-way across the country for a temp position making less than they currently are?

Really? Is this due to the company itself being too cheap or the headhunting company just not being realistic
This is all I run into these days with most of the recruiters around my area. They want you to work for peanuts because the client has several headhunting agencies all competing to fulfill the contract. The cheaper the contractor, the better. They expect you to give up your benefits, go backwards salary wise, and be happy that it is a temp job. I have yet to come across a single honest, straight-shooting, and trustworthy headhunter.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

I think that is because they expect they can find that due to the labor market. When jobs are more plentiful, companies can't choose who gets a job but when there's more employees than jobs it won't work. My guess is it isn't the recruiter, it's the company saying that they should be able to get you for less.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Headhunters can only tell you about positions that are open. It's up to you to apply or not. They are going to send every opening to as many people as they can to maximize their chances that someone will get it and they will get paid.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:23 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:

What do you do and how many years of experience do you have? I will tell you the market value for your job or you can look in up on Payscale.

In answer to your question, I have dealt with recruiters for over 15 years and if anything they usually have jobs that overpay.

1) The more you make, the more the recruiter makes, so they are fighting for your salary too.

2) Cheap companies cannot afford to use recruiters and rarely do.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
What do you do and how many years of experience do you have? I will tell you the market value for your job or you can look in up on Payscale.

In answer to your question, I have dealt with recruiters for over 15 years and if anything they usually have jobs that overpay.

1) The more you make, the more the recruiter makes, so they are fighting for your salary too.

2) Cheap companies cannot afford to use recruiters and rarely do.
Email Marketing Automation / Lead Generation -- I'm 2 years out of college, + 2 years of internship experience at a F500 during school.

I have advanced training in a specific email marketing automation tool that required around 80-100 hours of classwork at my current company + experience using the program. The tool is used by a number a businesses worldwide.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:
Email Marketing Automation / Lead Generation -- I'm 2 years out of college, + 2 years of internship experience at a F500 during school.

I have advanced training in a specific email marketing automation tool that required around 80-100 hours of classwork at my current company + experience using the program. The tool is used by a number a businesses worldwide.
I mean, to be perfectly honest, I think you are doing well for only being what 23, 24?

I know lawyers who went to good law schools who make less than what you make. Why do you want to leave?

I'm sorry, but you don't have a lot of leverage with 2 years of experience. It's entry level, any way you cut it. Even in the NBA, you'd still be on a rookie contract.

If you want your next big pay jump, maybe wait 2 or 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search