Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:41 PM

839 posts, read 1,209,260 times

Advertisements

I got a job working as a Asst Manager at a store. I got hired last week but dont start until July 12th. The job is not exactly what I want and not my field but after being unemployed 9 months its a job. Out of the blue i get an email asking me to interview with a company i sent my resume to 6 weeks ago which is in my field. . They want to talk to me first on Monday morning before scheduling an interview. I assume I should tell them I have another position I am scheduled to start at in a week but I am not official yet. I sign the paperwork on the first day . the job is training for 6 weeks 9am to 6pm so once I start I will have no time to interview etc so do i let them know the time frame right off the bat . Basically once I start the job on July 12th i will have no time to do interviews etc. Curious how ya'all would handle this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 09:02 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times
Go on the interview.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:14 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I'd go on the interview. Besides it is better to do this now rather then later and then tick off the other one.

Before I actually started receiving calls for interviews while prepping for an interview that day. It was actually pretty funny after awhile.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:55 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Go on the interview.
You're a big help...LOL.

OP, normally I would say don't mention the other position, but you have a time frame issue.

When you speak to them I think you have to tell them you have a position starting on 7/12 that will be 9am to 6pm, so you either need to interview prior to 7/12 or schedule an interview either early morning or after 6pm.

If they're interested and reasonable they will understand. Surely they know you applied to more than one job and this offer came in. But given this short window of time advise them that after 7/12 you have limited time for an actual onsite interview.

Good luck.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're a big help...LOL.

OP, normally I would say don't mention the other position, but you have a time frame issue.

When you speak to them I think you have to tell them you have a position starting on 7/12 that will be 9am to 6pm, so you either need to interview prior to 7/12 or schedule an interview either early morning or after 6pm.

If they're interested and reasonable they will understand. Surely they know you applied to more than one job and this offer came in. But given this short window of time advise them that after 7/12 you have limited time for an actual onsite interview.

Good luck.
I misread his post that they wanted to interview him on Monday.
I would not mention the other job unless they want to schedule the interview for after 7/12.

Also, 7/12 his first day at work is a Saturday. So, since he may be working a non-traditional work week it may be possible for him to schedule an interview on his day off that also happens to be Monday-Friday for company #2.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:55 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
I misread his post that they wanted to interview him on Monday.
I would not mention the other job unless they want to schedule the interview for after 7/12.

Also, 7/12 his first day at work is a Saturday. So, since he may be working a non-traditional work week it may be possible for him to schedule an interview on his day off that also happens to be Monday-Friday for company #2.

Fair enough.

You're right, if they're working starting on a Saturday the 12th, first try and schedule the interview on a day off during the week, without mentioning this new position.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:05 PM

Either way, I would not pass up this chance for an interview. :-)

Old 07-04-2014, 01:00 PM

839 posts, read 1,209,260 times
Thanks. The Saturday is training at a corporate office. then on Monday I start . i should have 1 day off a week. and 1 of the weekend days. I just hate to take a job and then have to leave if I did get another offer(I know odds are i will not get an offer , just saying) , I hate to do that after they hire me and have me on schedule and train me and then walk ouit which I would have to do I figure with little notice. Cant say I will stay on for a while to help as I am in training. I try to be ethical but I suppose since they kind of lowballed me on salary after I said yes i should not fell so bad(They promised me they were in the $20 an hour range and they hit me with $14)

Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
An employer would much rather you resigned shortly after starting than waiting 6 months. The reason is that the next best candidate may still be available (they won't need to re-open a requisition) and they haven't spent much in training time.

Go to the interview, give it your best and don't mention your current offer. Should there be subsequent interviews schedule them on your off days sharing your then current position only if there is a conflict.

Good luck!!

Old 07-09-2014, 06:37 AM

37 posts, read 103,240 times
Go to the interview. Don't tell them about being hired. You dont owe it to anyone to tell them your business. I understand that you took the other job on the fly since you didn't work for a while, but hey, it's business. It's nothing personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search