Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 07:55 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

People actually put religious information on their resumes ???? Business and religion should be kept separate. It is like when I see someone's business card and they have one of those little "fish" on it, I am always skeptical of them............are they trying to tell me that because they are a Christian I should automatically assume they are honest ???

Don

Old 07-05-2014, 08:01 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I've never put it and I've never known anyone ever who has ever put it on a resume. It seems obvious to not even think of putting it.
It is the same as political affiliation. It's just common sense to leave anything like that very personal in nature off the resume when job seeking.

What a really dumb news article. It almost reminds me of something I would read on The Onion (a satirical "news" website).

Old 07-05-2014, 08:22 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
What doesn't belong on a resume: religion, hobbies, marital status, family information, hobbies and interests, membership in organizations that have nothing to do with the position, any other personal information or characteristics that have nothing to do with performing the job. You've got maybe 30 seconds max to make a good impression with your resume, make them count. And be aware that spelling and grammar errors are a resume killer. If you have problems with the language, pay someone to edit your resume and cover letter.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
I hadn't realized people were putting it on their resumes. Is this a new trend?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
What doesn't belong on a resume: religion, hobbies, marital status, family information, hobbies and interests, membership in organizations that have nothing to do with the position, any other personal information or characteristics that have nothing to do with performing the job. You've got maybe 30 seconds max to make a good impression with your resume, make them count. And be aware that spelling and grammar errors are a resume killer. If you have problems with the language, pay someone to edit your resume and cover letter.
I used to put hobbies but frankly the space is best used for other things.

Why anyone would put religion on is beyond me. I've personally seen applications that if you are part of any group that is religious, political etc to NOT put it on.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:49 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Your resume is a snapshot of your qualifications for the job. Unless the job is at a religious institution, your faith isn't one of the qualifying (or disqualifying) criteria.

Your coworkers will be able to tell if you're letting your light shine or hiding it under a bushel.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
This whole thread is really weird, since no one in real life has apparently ever heard of someone who put their religion on their resume.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:48 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I could see something like a Mormon mission or church related work/education for almost any religion being on a resume if it is related to the job applied for or if it accounts for a lengthy period that would otherwise be accounted for as unemployment. I would expect to see it in education or work experience though, and the religion as something I would infer from the activity listed, not a stand alone statement.

I think it would be pretty weird to just randomly list your religion on a resume, and as a hiring manager, I think I would pass if I had other qualified applicants.
Agreed. My aunt's religion was pretty apparent from her resume--she was a former nun who taught in Catholic schools way back in the late 1950s to early 1970s, and she left the religious life but continued teaching at a secular level. But when your resume says that you were in the Order of the Sisters of Such-and-Such and taught at St. Something-or-other-school, it's probably screamingly obvious that you either were or still are Catholic (she remained Catholic, she just realized being a nun was not for her.) But given that this had been her 'career' until she entered the secular world, it only made sense that she would have it on her resume.

So aside from the religion having been part of your work (going on a mission, having left a religious order and entering the secular workforce), I can't see where you'd advertise it on a resume.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:59 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
I remembered putting the volunteer work I did for my church and was told by someone in HR it was inappropriate. I wouldn't put I'm a Christian though.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:07 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I agree with most of the comments.

I do job coaching now and again.

In general, I suggest that candidates leave out religious entries, with these exceptions:

- They are LDS (in good standing) and applying to an LDS company

- They are applying for a church position (especially if they are a member) -- for example, many Lutheran pre-schools only want to hire Lutherans. They may not say that, but that's how it works.

- They are applying to a Christian company in general: (Lobby Hobby, certain home nursing organizations, Christian book store)

Basically, I (or I have them) do a little research on the company but there are some where being of a certain faith will open doors.

The other instance is when their religion is so much a part of them that working in too "worldly" of an environment will cause them great distress, and I always advise them that if they truly need income they will need to not put that on their resume and make some adjustments, although I try to find them positions that won't compromise their beliefs, and that was a lot easier when I lived a little closer to Bluffton, OH, a Mennonite community. There are more small Amish and Mennonite businesses that will hire each other's teenagers.

And before you shake your head, consider that young Mennonite women in need of a job have somewhat limited options because of their strong beliefs. Some Amish women aren't allowed to work for anyone, except other Amish relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search