Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:17 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,183,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Just curious... Can anyone here think of a reason Sanjay/Ravi *would* have interest in placing Americans?
Fear of deportation ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:30 PM

1,274 posts, read 975,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Now see, I would mess with them by agreeing to commute, asking how much the company would pay for me to travel each day, which airlines is best to fly, where does the caller think the best hotel is, when should I make reservations for both the flight and the room, etc.

I remember a few years ago when I seemed to be on everyone's list, I would get calls to donate money to various charities. As soon as they identified themselves I'd jump in with, "Oh, thank God you called. You must have heard I have two in college and I could use the money. When might I be expecting a check, and do you know how much I'll be getting?"

At least they would laugh before ending the call.
You can laugh but some contracts are on real expense for travel/lodging + per diem for food so actually, what flight or room you take doesn't matter, you will get reimbursed no matter what .

Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
You can laugh but some contracts are on real expense for travel/lodging + per diem for food so actually, what flight or room you take doesn't matter, you will get reimbursed no matter what .

Not of those details matter, though, when the goal is simply to waste their time.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,183,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
They probably just say: "The Americans cost way more than these others. We're not making this up. Look... The Americans want $50/hr but these others will do it for $12/hr."
Not sure why this would be surprising, considering we've been shipping manufacturing overseas for years and employing indigent foreigners who will work for 1/10 of what an American would command.

The Infosys visa fraud should have been enough to shut the entire H-1B visa system down for good. But as long as there are deep pockets supporting it, the scam will continue.

Maybe we should start scamming the scammers ... flood the violating companies with falsified H-1B candidate resumes and pay Sanjay/Ravi to field their phone calls and set up no-show interviews that would waste the client's time. Clients don't like wasting time as time is money.

Getting the temporary visa holders out is the only way to make sure Americans get the jobs they deserve.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 PM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times
I had one guy email me for two jobs at the same client this week then call. I think I talked to them last year when I was unemployed, but nonetheless, these recruiters do tick me off.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,614,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I've been meaning to post about this for some time. Half the time I don't understand what they are saying. The other half of the time they are just reading from the script. If you ask a question they just start at the beginning, and if you keep asking the same question, they just keep restarting.

What's funny is I too just typically ask them to email me the info when I can't understand them. I've even considered putting "Note to Agency Recruiters: No Microsoft jobs, No contract jobs and Please speak ENGLISH if you call me" at the top of my resume, but I'm sure everyone will just think I'm the a hole because I am tired of what has happened to my country!

And what's with some of them asking for references before you've even interviewed!!! This is a forsaken industry. I plan on moving to HR eventually. Pays more in management and has way less stress and BS. The HR people at most companies I've worked at don't do jack!

Oh, and what is with the clowns who call you, even the English speaking American recruiters, and get offended when you decline their 2 month contract gig 5K miles away in favor of your full time job with a 40 hour week and being home every night. They act like you OWE them something. I've got news for you, I didn't decide to become a recruiter for jobs no one wants, so don't get short with me!
And the ones who send you a linkedin invite immediately following the call, priceless

Old 07-15-2014, 10:20 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,458,944 times
Not to knock recruiters from staffing agencies (as opposed recruiters from the company itself. For example, a recruiter from JP Morgan contacts you directly to see if they can get you to fill an auditing position, for JP Morgan itself) as I'm sure they've been helpful for others, but my first bias against them is they've never lead me to any interviews, so the accent is irrelevant in that respect.

Then you have those that pitch contracts that last 3 to 6 months that are 200 to 2000 miles away! Some of them will tempt you with the possibility of a permanent position

But if we want to talk about accents... yeah, some of the Indian accents are just awful! Amongst the worst I've listened to after 5 minutes, in my mind, I broke down crying "I don't want this job, whatever it is! I can't understand what the F@#$ you're saying!"

These end with me asking for them to email me the details so I can be done with the phone conversation.

In general, one suggested way to end the conversation quickly (short of hanging up, but that can be rude ) is to ask for a high W2 rate like $150 to $200 an hour, AND they have to pay for airplane and hotel expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
About 3-4x a week or sometimes in one day I get cold calls from various IT recruiters with heavy Indian accent that sounds like this..

"I'm calling from _____ company we are an IT Services Company and I found your profile on LinkedIn that matches the skillsets that we are looking for." My client is a fortune 500 company who is looking to hire someone with your skillsets.

Tell me what is your hourly rate and when can you be available? Are you willing to do a phone interview and then if you pass my client can meet you for face to face."

And usually they sound very cocky and tells you the rate the client is paying is very good and they won't go below the offered rate but will you back in 2 days to negotiate either W-2 or somewhere close to your asking rate.

At times I can't even make out what the person is talking about and I just tell them to send me the details and Job req in an email.

The worst part is I get 3-4 recruiters calling about the same exact job posted on Monster or other job bulletin. Say Citibank is hiring an IT Architect paying $100/hr, I would get 5-6 calls about the same position from different callers and they all sound almost exactly the same.

Maybe once a month I get a real American recruiter calling and want to talk about possible consulting/free-lancing projects and looking for top notch IT consultant in the area to join their IT services company.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,189,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Not to knock recruiters from staffing agencies (as opposed recruiters from the company itself. For example, a recruiter from JP Morgan contacts you directly to see if they can get you to fill an auditing position, for JP Morgan itself) as I'm sure they've been helpful for others, but my first bias against them is they've never lead me to any interviews, so the accent is irrelevant in that respect.

Then you have those that pitch contracts that last 3 to 6 months that are 200 to 2000 miles away!

But if we want to talk about accents... yeah, some of the Indian accents are just awful! Amongst the worst I've listened to after 5 minutes, in my mind, I broke down crying "I don't want this job, whatever it is! I can't understand what the F@#$ you're saying!"

These end with me asking for them to email me the details so I can be done with the phone conversation.
What I love is once you can recognize the area codes they use to spoof their phone numbers and let them go to VM, they'll leave message after message. One recruiter called me 12 times in one day.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:56 AM

696 posts, read 904,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post

Should you give these jokers even the slightest hint you are interested, they will press you ASAP for an "all inclusive rate" which folds in per diem expenses to your hourly rate. Unless your rate is based on living in a one bedroom tenement with six other guys and carpooling with same in a 10+ year old Toyota Corolla, fuggedaboutit.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,833,149 times
Default I am Indian & I understand your frustrations

Please see this thread i started & sign the petition
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ting-away.html

Most of these indian consultants are frauds. When i was job hunting i would just decline any interest in their contracting jobs. They keep changing their details like job description, salary, location, etc. Its frustrating to deal with them. I dont expect very good english skills from every Indian though. A huge number of indians working in IT have been placed through the consultants who rewrite their resumes to add fake work experience. So they get an edge over other applicants. The hiring company doesnt care because the consultant pays for the benefits, does the background check & references (hilarious 'coz the consultant created the fake background & references) & also sponsors the candidate's visa. Its cheap, low quality labor. I have conducted job interviews & i look for good communication skills, good spoken & written english. In IT companies it doesnt matter i guess. Not generalizing that everyone in IT is a fraud but i wish companies did some background checks through immigration services to find out on what visa they entered the country & how long they have been here. I knew recent graduates who were showing 5+ yrs of experience in IT & claimed to be on H1 visa, thanks to fake resumes created by their consultants. They would do short term contracting jobs to improve their skills & then find a full time job that pays $100k & more in areas like DC. The consultant helps them by supporting them on site during the process or finds someone who can write code for them. You can imagine how many violations they are committing by sending sensitive data of the company to others. No wonder the companies that were greedy to save money on cheap labor collapsed & were asking for bailouts. I hope someday companies realize its not worth it. Look for good quality & integrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search