Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 03:40 PM

461 posts, read 508,672 times

Advertisements

I applied for several positions with school districts a week and half ago and haven't heard anything yet. I fit the qualifications and really want one of those positions but winder if I should apply elsewhere as well. I am not hurting for finances but getting antsy staying home every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 08:23 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
There is no standard time to hear back from a potential employer. There can be many reasons for a delay.

I would keep applying until I receive a firm offer, in writing.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:16 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
There's no time set in stone.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:25 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
It may be 6 days, it may be 6 months, so an average really doesn't mean anything. They probably won't even start reviewing the resumes until the posting period is over, then the resumes will be reviewed as an ancillary duty to everything else the reviewer/s are doing. Then there will be a meeting to make sure everyone is in agreement about who to interview. Then they will check to see that the budgeted money is still available and they have the okay to start interviews...

Old 08-25-2022, 06:19 PM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
I give it 1 working week. Regardless though keep applying to you have an offer in hand.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I would expect that this time of year, schools would be responding faster, since here some have already started back, the rest are starting classes 9/6. Most are already complaining of shortages in teachers, aides, and bus drivers. Generally though, there are many factors influencing the time. I have hired 3 people in the last year, and from job announcement to first day working has varied from 5 weeks to 9 weeks. Hiring managers and HR people go on vacations, references may take a long time to call back, background checks can take a long time when those resources are busy, and normally, we wouldn't send out rejections to the top 2-3 until our selection has accepted the offer. We do try to send out the initial rejections within a week of the interviews.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:06 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I give it 1 working week. Regardless though keep applying to you have an offer in hand.
Agreed, heck if I am being bitter I would give a company as low as 3 days to get back to me. That being said if I don't hear anything within one work week I move on, if they come back after a week that is great but I assume my application is dead at that point.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:27 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Agreed, heck if I am being bitter I would give a company as low as 3 days to get back to me. That being said if I don't hear anything within one work week I move on, if they come back after a week that is great but I assume my application is dead at that point.
Or the job posting can be fake

Old 08-30-2022, 05:15 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have hired 3 people in the last year, and from job announcement to first day working has varied from 5 weeks to 9 weeks. Hiring managers and HR people go on vacations, references may take a long time to call back, background checks can take a long time when those resources are busy, and normally, we wouldn't send out rejections to the top 2-3 until our selection has accepted the offer. We do try to send out the initial rejections within a week of the interviews.
9 weeks would be considered expedient.

Even high ranked mid sized companies on glassdoor are taking 6-12 months to fill mid-senior level roles paying $100k+ (10+ years experience), and sometimes even still that long for more junior roles requiring 3-5 years experience

Old 09-11-2022, 03:27 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I applied for several positions with school districts a week and half ago and haven't heard anything yet. I fit the qualifications and really want one of those positions but winder if I should apply elsewhere as well. I am not hurting for finances but getting antsy staying home every day.
A week and a half before this thread was started was the very beginning of the school year. Most likely hiring managers were overwhelmed dealing with all the craziness of the start of the school year, and had paused hiring efforts.

It's also possible that you missed the deadline for a job that needed to begin at the start of the school year, but most districts are so short staffed now that I doubt anyone would turn down someone qualified (or even not qualified) who was ready to start whenever.

But no one should ever stop applying for jobs on the assumption that you are a 'shoe in' for something you've already applied for. There is no 'standard' timeline for hiring. It could be days, it could be months. And there are employers who advertise jobs that aren't funded yet...meaning they may never hire anyone. So don't assume anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search