Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 05:24 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
C'mon now it's been explained many times in the thread that the person being hired brings immediate experience, skills and results to the job day 1. And the results deserve pay!!

Excuse me? Where in this thread has the OP explained that she brings any experience or skills to this job? There has been exactly two posts from the OP. Neither one mentions bringing experience or skills. We have absolutely no idea what the job is, what she will be asked to do, or what qualifications she brings. Because the other posters (and you) assume you know, does not make it true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip_Chick54 View Post
I went to an interview the other day (lasted 4 hours). Company is fairly small but they've got a great staff. Long story short- CEO wants me to come in next week for a full 8 hour non paid shift to do a "dry run" and test out the job duties. He wants to make sure that I am a good fit for the job.

I want to know what everyone's thoughts are on this. Would you demand to be paid? I currently work part time and the day that he is asking me to come in is the day that I work. He reassured me that right now, things are looking up for me.

CEO mentioned that we can talk about salary and benefits after my 8 hours is done.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip_Chick54 View Post
Update- just got a voicemail from CEO asking me to come in on Monday for the
"test run" an hour earlier than initially planned. He knows that I work part time MWF but he said he can't have me come in on Tuesday and to keep going to interviews.
Um.....doesnt sound promising to me. LOL. Seems as though he feels a bit iffy about me even going in.

Thoughts?????

Old 07-18-2014, 05:31 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Excuse me? Where in this thread has the OP explained that she brings any experience or skills to this job? There has been exactly two posts from the OP. Neither one mentions bringing experience or skills. We have absolutely no idea what the job is, what she will be asked to do, or what qualifications she brings. Because the other posters (and you) assume you know, does not make it true...
Only he can answer, but I understood his post addressing "the person being hired" to be anyone, not just the OP. I figured this since a few people in this thread can start producing day 1 since they are vulnerable of being used as labor. Or at least that's how I have come to understand it.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
How can you put in a full day's work if you've never been trained?

IDK if they do this in the U$ anymore, but there's this thing we have Down Under called "Paid Training" WE've found it works REALLY well. Given the sad state of america, they may have done away with it, as it reeks of "entitlement"

The gall of some people- imagine wanting to be paid for their work-how Un-American can you get?? I bet they also expect safe working conditions and expect to be treated like human beings. Let me guess, I bet those prima-donnas have the audacity to want to be paid on a regular basis too, and demand such entitlements as overtime pay, benefits, heck I bet they even want breaks and lunch breaks too!! I bet they are so entitled, I bet they even want to have time off too-even PAID time off after a few years!! Such liberal, almost ,communistic thinking!!! Don't they realize that it's not about the worker anymore in america, it's about profits and CEO pay! Now get back to work all and serve your Corporate Masters and forget this "treated with respect" and "work-life balance" gibberish!! *Cracks whip

Old 07-18-2014, 06:01 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
IDK if they do this in the U$ anymore, but there's this thing we have Down Under called "Paid Training" WE've found it works REALLY well. Given the sad state of america, they may have done away with it, as it reeks of "entitlement"

The gall of some people- imagine wanting to be paid for their work-how Un-American can you get?? I bet they also expect safe working conditions and expect to be treated like human beings. Let me guess, I bet those prima-donnas have the audacity to want to be paid on a regular basis too, and demand such entitlements as overtime pay, benefits, heck I bet they even want breaks and lunch breaks too!! I bet they are so entitled, I bet they even want to have time off too-even PAID time off after a few years!! Such liberal, almost ,communistic thinking!!! Don't they realize that it's not about the worker anymore in america, it's about profits and CEO pay! Now get back to work all and serve your Corporate Masters and forget this "treated with respect" and "work-life balance" gibberish!! *Cracks whip
You're entire post had me LMAO!!! Thank you for this. Really. So VERY necessary as you can see from some of the posts in here.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:04 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:

LOL

Perfect post.

I don't get why people are endorsing this. There is an area between "I don't know anything" and "I am an expert my first day on the job".

I can perform my job anywhere - but I do have to learn the COMPANY's procedures also. No one expects a new hire to know this on their first day. This is something that all new hires must learn - so why is the OP advised to do this for free?

The OP does not have a firm offer. Not only that, but the potential boss expects the OP to work for free while giving up a paid day's work and encourages the OP to keep interviewing???

That alone is basis for a refusal.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:

It's irrelevant to the point. It's not paid training and it's not a full day's work either. Further, it's not mandatory. It's a choice.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
LOL

Perfect post.

I don't get why people are endorsing this. There is an area between "I don't know anything" and "I am an expert my first day on the job".

I can perform my job anywhere - but I do have to learn the COMPANY's procedures also. No one expects a new hire to know this on their first day. This is something that all new hires must learn - so why is the OP advised to do this for free?

The OP does not have a firm offer. Not only that, but the potential boss expects the OP to work for free while giving up a paid days work and encourages the OP to keep interviewing???

That alone is basis for a refusal.
I imagine it's due to the fact that it's not about training or a day's work. He's looking to see if she, and others, are a good fit. You don't understand what that means and it likely has varied impact from one industry to the next.

Anyhow, I don't think one pov here is wrong or right. If your (general you) perspective and approach yields a successful career that's all that matters.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
It's irrelevant to the point. It's not paid training and it's not a full day's work either. Further, it's not mandatory. It's a choice.

per the OP-CEO mentioned that we can talk about salary and benefits after my 8 hours is done.

Didn't the OP say the CEO would talk to her after her 8 hours is done, then called and asked her to come in even earlier?? That's a full day to me. It IS a choice, yet people are being critical of those that feels it isn't right. so I think it's VERY relevant to the point

Old 07-18-2014, 06:17 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
I imagine it's due to the fact that it's not about training or a day's work. He's looking to see if she, and others, are a good fit. You don't understand what that means and it likely has varied impact from one industry to the next.

Anyhow, I don't think one pov here is wrong or right. If your (general you) perspective and approach yields a successful career that's all that matters.
Excuse me? You can lose the condescension, ma'am.

I understand what "a good fit" means. And I also understand that you cannot tell if someone is a good fit from one day's work - unless something drastic happens.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Cmon- you'd onlybe paying the prospective employee for ONE DAY, not a week, not a month... good grief you people
That's a lie. There are many cost's involved with hiring a person. No wonder people don't understand how to gain employment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search