Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 01:40 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And she did not explicitly state that it would be a meet and greet either. She did state that she would be doing "job duties" (whatever that entails).

I will say that the first day that I was hired, I had to hit the ground running.
Sure, she may be doing job duties via shadowing, light training, learning some of the ropes. That doesn't mean she's going to do productive work and old trader makes a solid point. A seasoned employee is likely going to have to give up a day to be with her. With that said, what is it you do/did that requires no training, no orientation, no getting to know the lay of the land? This I'm curious about because nothing comes to mind for me in an office setting.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip_Chick54 View Post
I went to an interview the other day (lasted 4 hours). Company is fairly small but they've got a great staff. Long story short- CEO wants me to come in next week for a full 8 hour non paid shift to do a "dry run" and test out the job duties. He wants to make sure that I am a good fit for the job.

I want to know what everyone's thoughts are on this. Would you demand to be paid? I currently work part time and the day that he is asking me to come in is the day that I work. He reassured me that right now, things are looking up for me.

CEO mentioned that we can talk about salary and benefits after my 8 hours is done.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
The employer could get into trouble for this if reported to your state's Department of Labor. He should at least offer minimum wage for the hours anyone works on a trial basis. I also think it's fishy salary and benefits were not discussed yet. What if the benefits are no good or the salary is lowballed and you wasted a day working there? I also agree with the other person that said he has probably got other people lined up on the schedule to work a trial day also. If he is doing it with you, why not with other people? Who knows how many? I wouldn't do it, especially on a day that you already have regular paid work lined up. I would rather talk salary and benefits first to even know if I'd want to entertain this "trial offer."

Old 07-19-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Which is perfect.

I'd do it, and if not hired, file a wage complaint with the DOL. Now to accomplish that easily, I'd ask the corp to email a request to have you work one day for free.
Are DOL complaints confidential or can background checkers find out that you've filed previous complaints with them? If they can find out, I think I'd rather skip the day of work than be labelled as a person who makes complaints to the DOL if background checked by potential employers.

I've always wondered about that ... and also can background checkers find out if you've sued an employer for discrimination, etc.? I guess "yes," as court records are public? Can they find out if you've had Workers' Compensation claims? Can they find out if you've gone out on Short or Long Term Disability on previous employers? All these things, especially multiple occurrences, can be the kiss of death for getting hired by an employer because if you've done it before, you may do it again. I personally have experience with people who find reasons to "go out on disability" multiple times. They do it once and like it. In my experience, I know 3 working mothers who would find reasons to go out on disability in the summer, for instance.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
oh please...it's a racket to get a free day of work out of the OP. it's not a "test." please please PLEASE.. it's not an internship or work for class credit arrangement. it's not "shadowing". Tuesday he probably has another person lined up, and Wednesday, and so on. OP has another paying job. He refused to give her a day that would not take away from the paying job. That's seriously messed up. I would rethink about giving an extra minute to this employer, let alone a free day of work. This is like something out of Henry James or Dickens - "free day of work to see if you're a fit." We're not living in the 19th century. You wanna play, you gotta pay.
Agree. The OP would have to call in sick to their job(what other excuse can you use when you're talking all day) in order to do this on Monday. He refused Tuesday because someone else will be doing their free 8 hours on that day.

He may have 5 people coming in all week.

If he had at least said "I understand you have an obligation to your current employer, how about Thursday"...but that's not even the case. Has to be Monday, and now he wants her an hour earlier.

The OP works 3 days a week, and has Tuesdays and Thursdays off. Keep looking, and try whenever possible to schedule interviews on your days off.

When you're job hunting and you're currently employed(even part time) you have to pick and choose when it's in your best interest to miss work. You can only have so many Dr.appts. call in sick, car trouble, family emergency, before it becomes obvious you're looking.

Save those for something that is going to work out. This guy can't even give a salary range or discuss benefits but he wants free labor. I would pass.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:55 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Ask before firing all assumptive barrels? I've made no assumptions on this thread - simply responded to those who have, and given examples of the procedure I've followed for years in having someone stop in for a few hours to get a feel for the job and make sure that it's suitable for all involved before the die is cast.
No, the OP asked for thoughts about the matter, and that's what I gave her. Nothing more. Nothing less. She can take it or leave it.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
If you are still getting unemployment, you don't have too much to lose by working a day for free. Gives you a chance to interview the company just as much as they are interviewing you.
Depends on the laws regarding Unemployment Insurance in your state. In New York, for instance, if you do ANY WORK ANY PART OF THE DAY, EVEN AN HOUR OR LESS, PAID OR UNPAID, whether it's for a company or just "helping" someone do some work, you are expected to report that to the DOL and forfeit getting paid your unemployment money for that whole day. In NYS, the Unemployment payable workweek is 4 days, not 5, so doing that 1 day of unpaid work will mean getting only 3/4 of your unemployment check for the week.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Sure, she may be doing job duties via shadowing, light training, learning some of the ropes. That doesn't mean she's going to do productive work and old trader makes a solid point. A seasoned employee is likely going to have to give up a day to be with her. With that said, what is it you do/did that requires no training, no orientation, no getting to know the lay of the land? This I'm curious about because nothing comes to mind for me in an office setting.
Which is another reason why this is ridiculous to ask someone to come in for 8 hours. It would be one thing to ask someone to maybe come in meet the coworkers and spend a couple of hours to see if the OP would be a good fit.

I once had an interview that went well and was asked could I stay for a couple of hours to sit with the person I would be working with. I agreed since I had the time to do so and I ended up getting the job.

But to be asked to come back and spend all day, have no flexibility to come so you don't interfere with your current job, and can't even be told what the salary range/benefits are....no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The employer could get into trouble for this if reported to your state's Department of Labor. He should at least offer minimum wage for the hours anyone works on a trial basis. I also think it's fishy salary and benefits were not discussed yet. What if the benefits are no good or the salary is lowballed and you wasted a day working there? I also agree with the other person that said he has probably got other people lined up on the schedule to work a trial day also. If he is doing it with you, why not with other people? Who knows how many? I wouldn't do it, especially on a day that you already have regular paid work lined up. I would rather talk salary and benefits first to even know if I'd want to entertain this "trial offer."
It's very fishy. The salary range and benefits are already in place. If he can't at least say what the range is something is up.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:05 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I got general training while performing the job. I received probably one hour of procedural training, tops. Everything I learned by being observant, asking questions when needed, that sort of thing. It is assumed that as a seasoned worker with years under her belt, I'd know everything else that wasn't company specific.

Sorry, I feel things are getting a bit circular here. I've explained my position on such an arrangement and why I think it doesn't sit well with me. You do not agree and that's ok with me. Whatever "shadowing" I've ever had to do, and quite frankly I can only remember one instance of this (when I literally just started out in my career), it was within an employer-employee relationship. I was formally hired, and as such, I got paid for the eight hours of "shadowing". And really, it's not merely the pay that's at issue here. It's everything else I've described in prior posts.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not necessarily, and not likely in this situation. This could be considered an unpaid internship (even for a day), which are legal, as long as they meet the criteria. It really is dependent on the specific tasks they will be doing. Since the OP would be training for that day (as they couldn't know the job on Day 1), it seems to meet the criteria.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm
Oh, I don't know about that ...

From your link:

Quote:
The following six criteria must be applied when making this determination:

The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;
The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and
The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.

Bolded
= this offer of unpaid work is QUESTIONABLE as to whether it meets the DOL standards.

Bolded and Underlined = this offer of unpaid work is HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE as to whether it meets the DOL standards.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Oh well, it seems like a lot of people commenting on this thread don't struggle with unemployment or under-employment. OP, go ahead and follow their advice, and tell this slave-driver prospective employer to stick it up his ass, and then continue searching for the right opportunity in this crappy economy. I mean, who would want to see what the job really consists of, right? I mean, we all know that the world is perfect, right?

If an employer asked me to job shadow for a day for an opportunity that paid $50k a year to start, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm happy to hear that most people on this thread are in a much better job situation than to stoop to such a menial slave level.
Reread the initial post. Where do you get $50K a year? The employer will NOT TALK salary or benefits until AFTER she has performed eight hours of unpaid work.

Would you do it under those circumstances ... when you don't know what the benefits are or what the offering salary is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search