Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 11:35 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,406,226 times

Advertisements

Two weeks ago I applied for a job that I really want at another company. I have been connected on LinkedIn to the hiring manager (also would be my boss if I got the job) for a while. This position has been posted since June 9th and is still showing active on the company’s job board.

Should I message the manager on LinkedIn ( I don’t know their email address or phone number) and express my interest for the position or is that too forward and just wait out the process?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 11:39 AM

898 posts, read 934,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
Two weeks ago I applied for a job that I really want at another company. I have been connected on LinkedIn to the hiring manager (also would be my boss if I got the job) for a while. This position has been posted since June 9th and is still showing active on the company’s job board.

Should I message the manager on LinkedIn ( I don’t know their email address or phone number) and express my interest for the position or is that too forward and just wait out the process?

Thanks
Since you are connected with the individual, what is the status of your relationship with him/her?

Can you send a follow up to the individual you sent your resume to? Or was it via an online application process?

Either way, if that person is responsible for the hiring decision for that position, I don't necessarily see an issue with sending a brief inquiry about the status of the position. They did accept your invite to be connected after all.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:47 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,479,550 times
I would send a message to your connection saying you've been interested in working at the company for some time and applied for the X position and just want to make sure they received your resume. "Are you able to confirm it got through? I would hate to miss out on an opportunity to work there."

Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,406,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
Since you are connected with the individual, what is the status of your relationship with him/her?

Can you send a follow up to the individual you sent your resume to? Or was it via an online application process?

Either way, if that person is responsible for the hiring decision for that position, I don't necessarily see an issue with sending a brief inquiry about the status of the position. They did accept your invite to be connected after all.
I worked with them indirectly in the past. They worked on a team that I worked with while at another company. I never talked or met with them directly though but we share about 10 of the same connections on LinkedIn.

It was an online application process via the company's website and I know they use an outsourced recruiting firm.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:52 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,315,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post

Thanks
I would, that's what LinkedIn is for; networking.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:22 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,890,422 times
Send the message!

I had a candidate send me a LinkedIn message and his resume had, in fact, been stuck in the recruiter's black hole. As soon as I asked the recruiter about it, it magically appeared in my candidate list!

Fight the black hole and ASK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search