Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 07:18 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times

Advertisements

Just throwing this out there.. any advise is appreciated..

I got an interview for a pretty good server position (they have both a full-time and part-time position available ..at least they did when I talked to them last week) at really upscale restaurant for Monday at 4pm..

After I got this interview set up, I received a phone call for another position as a part-time food service coordinator for Tuesday at around 10am (this same company had a position posted for a full-time cook position which I also applied for but did not receive an interview for).. It's at a local hospital. I plan on asking the Food Service Director about picking up hours to help fill the cook need as well. My guess is that this food-service coordinator position will pay decent (there's a good bit of responsibility) with the potential for good benefits.

I have pretty good confidence in obtaining work for either positions considering my background given the availability meets the needs of the company.

I have been thinking about asking to postpone the interview with the restaurant asking the place if they could schedule it after noon or so on Tuesday. This would give me a better understanding of things such as pay rate for the food service coordinator job. I would also if that position was offered have a different availability to offer to the restaurant to pick up hours elsewhere possibly as a per-diem employee.

So I'm thinking out loud.. any thoughts/comments??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 07:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
You have no reason to be rescheduling IMO. You don't have a conflict, so don't do it.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Yes, quit making things difficult for yourself. As the poster above said you have no scheduling conflict but you sure are trying to create one.

You have a 10am interview on Tuesday, why on earth would you want another one on the same day at 12pm? If the 10am starts late and goes for an hour, you're really cutting it close time wise, even if the hospital and the restaurant are right next door.

Besides no restaurant is going to interview at 12pm, why do you think they made at 4pm? Their slow time between lunch and dinner.

You have no reason to reschedule, so don't do it.

Best of luck.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:26 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
thank you both for the replies. I was thinking of asking the restaurant if they could re-schedule after noon of course as they'd be in prime time at that hour. just wanted to clarify .. The issue isn't with scheduling the interview, but the issue would be availability..

On Monday, my availability for the restaurant position is wide open. On Tuesday this could change; however, depending on how the interview goes. As I've been humbled with this in previous interviews, I think with the concept that I got the interview with the hospital gives me a pretty good chance at getting the position.

I think you're right though. Just keep things as they are. I don't like skating around interview questions. I feel I need to be straight forward and honest. I'll just tell them at the restaurant of my situation if asked regarding an interview the following Tuesday.

It would be nice to pick up hours serving tables as a per-diem employee if all goes well with the job at the hospital. I'd like to get set up with both jobs if at all possible.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
thank you both for the replies. I was thinking of asking the restaurant if they could re-schedule after noon of course as they'd be in prime time at that hour. just wanted to clarify .. The issue isn't with scheduling the interview, but the issue would be availability..

On Monday, my availability for the restaurant position is wide open. On Tuesday this could change; however, depending on how the interview goes. As I've been humbled with this in previous interviews, I think with the concept that I got the interview with the hospital gives me a pretty good chance at getting the position.

I think you're right though. Just keep things as they are. I don't like skating around interview questions. I feel I need to be straight forward and honest. I'll just tell them at the restaurant of my situation if asked regarding an interview the following Tuesday.

It would be nice to pick up hours serving tables as a per-diem employee if all goes well with the job at the hospital. I'd like to get set up with both jobs if at all possible.
You're welcome.

Don't get ahead of yourself.

I wouldn't say anything to the restaurant about the hospital job. Or vice-versa.

Go on both interviews, do your best, and see what happens.

It sounds like you could do both jobs, perhaps part time.

Interview and see what is offered first.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,240 times
I agree with the above. You should absolutely not mention that you have another interview lined up. You would be shooting yourself in the foot for no reason at all. Even if they want to hire you, the first place is unlikely to offer you the job on the spot--they will most likely conduct their interviews and call back candidates in a few days. And in the unlikely event that they do offer you the job right then and there, you can ask for a few days to think about it. Or just accept and sort out scheduling concerns when and if they arise.

If you let them know that they are your fallback/second choice, chances are extraordinarily strong that they will show you the door.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:54 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Don't make an issue where one doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search