Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 04:08 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
You don't need a resume for jobs at mcdonald's and all the others. Just have to fill out the application. But good luck even getting an interview. Harvard University has a higher acceptance for enrollment rate than Walmart does for hiring people.
I heard that. I'm looking for a 2nd job in retail to hold me until I move... so I hope I can get a retail job with only library, writing and office experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 05:13 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Najspuzzler View Post
no I haven't. I don't feel like I am at all ready to commit to that just yet because I know so little and I can't learn the way I've generally been taught. I feel there are more important things that must come first.
WTF? Get a part time job and get some experience.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:45 PM

25 posts, read 32,148 times
I'm 24 without a degree or any decent experience. I guess I should just shoot myself now since it seems like it will be nearly impossible to do anything at this point.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:53 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabot View Post
I'm 24 without a degree or any decent experience. I guess I should just shoot myself now since it seems like it will be nearly impossible to do anything at this point.
Or don't be a drama queen/king and work toward getting some experience.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:22 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
There were several good pieces of advice so far (I repped you).

Unfortunately, this is the sort of project I get tasked with a fair amount.

OP, you're already starting off on the wrong foot with bosses at the sorts of places that are going to hire you, given your age and lack of jobs. Please understand that it's not going to sit well with bosses if you tell them, "I was too busy with my music to babysit or get a paper route." Better: "I thought that I could make it in the music business, but I learned the hard way that I couldn't."

The second statement implies that you learn from mistakes and casts your lack of paid work in a stronger light.

Do you have any non-family members you can use as references? That's the next problem. Maybe help a neighbor clean out a garage and ask if you can use him/her as a reference. Ditto teachers . . .

Which brings up a point. If you have the motivation to finish projects in a timely manner and can be trusted, you could start your own local business cutting lawns, cleaning out garages, and so on. You wouldn't make much, but that would give you some references and start to build your job experience. I started a cleaning service for landlords in a college area and expanded into light repairs and then teamed up with a guy with a truck and did light hauling. This gig ended up netting me several hundred a week, mostly cash. I was a student and it greatly helped with buying groceries.

If you don't have this sort of motivation, look for entry level jobs at the grocery stores and in retail, as stated earlier. Don't forget the mom and pop grocery stores and if they only offer you 6 hours per week sacking groceries, take it. You need the references.

While you are looking, also look for volunteer work. This might be more creative. Are you a member of a church? Go there and ask if they need help with vacation bible school. Can you teach kids how to play music? That might lead to some paid tutoring. Ask, Ask, Ask! Don't be shy. And any job you are offered, even detailing a nasty car, do it really well! Make people happy to have hired you.

If you qualify for any of the area "job services" programs, go do that. You'll have some boring jobs, like picking up litter along the freeway, but again, you'll get good references if you treat the work like gold and bust your behind.

And that's my last bit of advice. You need to channel the same motivation you tired to put into music and the motivation to build a better life with your girlfriend into becoming a hard-working go-getter, even at boring jobs. Excel and smile! That will separate you from the losers.

It's also possible that with some fresh motivation, you'll be able to return to music and do more with it the next time.

Last edited by Meemur; 07-26-2014 at 06:31 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabot View Post
Read my post to the OP. Your reality is what you make it. If you can smile, show up on time constantly, and work hard, you can overcome many shortcomings. However, you must be realistic. It may take a year of working the 4 am morning shift at Panera or sacking groceries before you can move up to something better. If you can accept that and stay positive, you have a good chance of doing better, even in a down economy.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:38 PM

One other thought for both of you: if you can use a computer and know MS Office products, you might check at the temp agencies for office work. When I was a teen, many women were trained as secretaries. It was often stupid work but even then, it usually paid better than fast food and was certainly cleaner (no clothes smelling like grease!)

If you lack a skill, like being able to use Excel, there are free tutorials online and in libraries.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:59 PM

8 posts, read 22,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
OP, you're already starting off on the wrong foot with bosses at the sorts of places that are going to hire you, given your age and lack of jobs. Please understand that it's not going to sit well with bosses if you tell them, "I was too busy with my music to babysit or get a paper route." Better: "I thought that I could make it in the music business, but I learned the hard way that I couldn't."

The second statement implies that you learn from mistakes and casts your lack of paid work in a stronger light.
Yes the second line is a lot better, and I can think of those things when my mindset isn't blown to pieces the way it is right now.

Quote:
Do you have any non-family members you can use as references? That's the next problem. Maybe help a neighbor clean out a garage and ask if you can use him/her as a reference. Ditto teachers . . .
Yes I have a few friends I can list...if they were called I have no idea what they'd say

Quote:
If you don't have this sort of motivation, look for entry level jobs at the grocery stores and in retail, as stated earlier. Don't forget the mom and pop grocery stores and if they only offer you 6 hours per week sacking groceries, take it. You need the references.
I feel like this is probably what I will end up having to do. If I could get this down it would boost my self confidence massively, even though I know that might sound silly to some of you. I didn't know it was somehow easier to get these kind of jobs, like as in how some people mention you just need an application. I didn't know the difference and there's probably some more questions I should be asking but don't know that I ought to.

Quote:
While you are looking, also look for volunteer work. This might be more creative. Are you a member of a church? Go there and ask if they need help with vacation bible school. Can you teach kids how to play music? That might lead to some paid tutoring. Ask, Ask, Ask! Don't be shy. And any job you are offered, even detailing a nasty car, do it really well! Make people happy to have hired you.
Off the top of my head I can't think of anything like this I'd be able to do well at. Since I'm a perfectionist, I feel like I am the one who needs lessons, and I'm not good at explaining things to people to teach them...

Quote:
And that's my last bit of advice. You need to channel the same motivation you tired to put into music and the motivation to build a better life with your girlfriend into becoming a hard-working go-getter, even at boring jobs. Excel and smile! That will separate you from the losers.

It's also possible that with some fresh motivation, you'll be able to return to music and do more with it the next time.
Thank you for your post...it has given me more of a vision for what to do and I appreciate it. Once I get momentum and out of that "just started" period with something I can really own it and am very detail oriented...and I hear you on the music stuff too.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Yes the second line is a lot better, and I can think of those things when my mindset isn't blown to pieces the way it is right now.

Yes I have a few friends I can list...if they were called I have no idea what they'd say

I feel like this is probably what I will end up having to do. If I could get this down it would boost my self confidence massively, even though I know that might sound silly to some of you. I didn't know it was somehow easier to get these kind of jobs, like as in how some people mention you just need an application. I didn't know the difference and there's probably some more questions I should be asking but don't know that I ought to.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything like this I'd be able to do well at. Since I'm a perfectionist, I feel like I am the one who needs lessons, and I'm not good at explaining things to people to teach them...

Thank you for your post...it has given me more of a vision for what to do and I appreciate it. Once I get momentum and out of that "just started" period with something I can really own it and am very detail oriented...and I hear you on the music stuff too.
Good luck! It will take a bit of time, but you're on the right path!

Old 07-26-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
You're welcome. I think once you get out there and start knocking on doors, you'll find some additional motivation. I understand about being told "no" and having it undermine your confidence, but remember that you are *not* your job. It is how you earn a living at the moment. Smile. Be positive. With all the sullen employees around, that sort of mindset will help you stand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search