Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 03:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,331 times

Advertisements

I sent in my resume to this company and ended up getting an interview with them. However, my husband has also interviewed for a job that may move us. We won't find out if we're moving until a few days after my interview. Should I tell my interviewer that it's possible I might be moving? Or should I just leave that out and tell them later?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 04:03 AM

341 posts, read 674,936 times
You might be moving?

You might not. There you have it, it's a wash- say nothing. Why would you potentially DQ yourself?

Has a company ever told someone, "we might be firing you?" Nope, it just happens. As should your notification should you find yourself relocating.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:42 AM

12,105 posts, read 23,271,144 times
No, you should not. It sounds like you will know if you are moving before you move on to the next step of the process anyway, so go to the interview and do your best.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:43 AM

649 posts, read 1,423,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
No, you should not. It sounds like you will know if you are moving before you move on to the next step of the process anyway, so go to the interview and do your best.
This

Old 07-27-2014, 11:15 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feebzma9014 View Post
I sent in my resume to this company and ended up getting an interview with them. However, my husband has also interviewed for a job that may move us. We won't find out if we're moving until a few days after my interview. Should I tell my interviewer that it's possible I might be moving? Or should I just leave that out and tell them later?
Well if you want to be removed from consideration, by all means tell them.

You really have to ask this?

Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,483,555 times
Do not tell them anything. You may wind up not moving.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Don't say a word about it. Even if they ask about your plans to stay in the area or if they as where you live, how you like it, etc. Pretend like you are staying in that area forever. Because your husband's job move isn't firm and you might stay where you are for many years into the future.

I'll tell a story about my past: When I was a young adult, I was accepted into a specific college program and was all set to start in 4 months. I got a job opportunity at a Fortune 50 company that was very hard to get into. I never said a word to the interviewer about being accepted into college and the fact that I would likely resign from this new job in 4 months to attend school.

Fast forward a few months and the new job at the Fortune 50 company was awesome. I decided to withdraw from the college program and instead stayed at the Fortune 50 company for many years - moving up the ladder and building a very nice career. I decided to attend a different college part-time/evenings while working. Ends up the Fortune 50 company paid for all my tuition via their tuition assistance program.

Thank goodness I never told the interviewer that I was accepted into college and planned to resign in 4 months. I would have lost a major life-altering career opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search