Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 02:07 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times

Advertisements

I've noticed more and more job postings here in Michigan have been asking that you provide your hourly or salary requirements when submitting your resume for a job (before even being selected for an interview). Even during the heart of the recession, I didn't see too many postings requesting this.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in these requests, say, over the past year or two in your location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 02:11 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,927 times
I do it, and here's why:

1. Way better than "what did you make". Obvious reasons on both sides.
2. No point in wasting anyone's time if I'm not going to be in the ballpark.
3. If someone applies looking for less than what my midpoint is, I know I can offer midpoint and have someone that is stoked on what they got, they're going to be more engaged going forward, likely perform better since they won't be distracted job searching, and I'll have room to move them towards the top of the pay grade.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:14 PM

17 posts, read 20,108 times
Having set up interviews with recruiters and going through screening interviews about 6 months ago, it was a common question.

If a company is only willing to put aside, say 75K for a position and you're not willing to work for less than 100K...it just saves them time. Sometimes they'll try to match you up with a more senior/junior position. Other times, someone gets a cut and they want to maximize their commission on getting you into the position.

It's also a good jumping off place. If they really want to hire you, sometimes they'll low ball or offer you just about what you put as your expected or last salary.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:59 AM

519 posts, read 777,174 times
I would have less of a problem with this if more job postings put the salary range of the position.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:37 AM

469 posts, read 637,423 times
I have had more luck putting: "My salary requirements are flexible and based on overall compensation package to include benefits." Then when I get on a phone screen, they ask me the question again and I repeat "My salary requirements are flexible and based on the overall compensation to include benefits" then I immediately say "what is your range for this position"? If it is within my range, I say I can work within that range.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
I've not noticed an increase - albeit it wouldn't surprise me.
Bad economy = more people looking for jobs. And that means more applicants for each position advertised.

So by asking for salary requirements - there's the potential of weeding down the number of applications. As others have stated, those that are way above (or even below) the budget simply won't be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
I would have less of a problem with this if more job postings put the salary range of the position.
I think employers may avoid this to ensure only the 'better qualified' candidates respond. You list the salary, you may end up getting unqualified people who are only attracted by the number. And of course, not listing your salary allows you to negotiate the best price.

But realistically speaking - they simply don't have to.

In the end, it's all about leverage. In most cases, the employers are the "buyers" - and for that one position, they know they'll get multiple potentials vying for it. So they really have no need to further entice.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:30 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I've noticed more and more job postings here in Michigan have been asking that you provide your hourly or salary requirements when submitting your resume for a job (before even being selected for an interview). Even during the heart of the recession, I didn't see too many postings requesting this.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in these requests, say, over the past year or two in your location?
You will see it more now than during the recession, because there are more job openings now. Job openings have increased by 2.5 million, since '09. If we add another million openings on top of that, we will see it more. That's great that there are more openings.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search