Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:29 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanboston View Post
It sounds like this reference really has good intentions deep down and it's possible that when asked why you left, he explained and tried to exonerate you by indicating that you were absent due to serious problems rather than playing hooky. He could really think that wouldn't count against you, or that it would be less negative than anything else he could say to explain why you were let go. I mean, realistically, what else is he going to say? He could leave the accident/medical stuff out of his reference and just say you were let go due to excessive absences. He could refuse to answer any questions beyond whether or not you are eligible for rehire (I'm assuming that response would be a "no" because you were terminated, so again, not great). He could refuse to verify anything other than dates of employment.

Maybe you could ask him for a letter of reference that addresses your work ethic, professionalism, achievements, etc., so that you can hand that to prospective employers who request a reference. But if he addresses the reason for your termination in the letter, you may be no better off.
Come on. This was a rotten thing to do to someone looking for temp work. Guarantee the OP will not get any assignments from this agency.

You don't tell someone use me as a reference and than basically do a hatchet job on them. Which is what he did. How could someone not think that telling the woman at the temp agency that the OP was in a car accident and out a lot due to medical appts/issues not count against them. The agency woman now has in her mind "I can't send this person out on any assignments, what if they call up and say their back hurts today".

By bringing up the car accident he opened a can of worms.

OP, you better find another reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:34 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Either this manager is completely clueless and doesn't understand that being that honest is going to ruin any chance of the op getting a job, or this is one of those covertly aggressive moves meant to ruin the op.

OP, in response to his email I would simply reply that, "Thanks, but based on your feedback regarding the time I had to take off, I don't think it's likely I'll be getting a job any time soon with this agency." Just see what he comes back with. If he replies that he's genuinely sorry, saying he hadn't thought of that - I would test this out by having a friend call in another week as though she was with a company looking to hire you. If he says,"Well, I'm not going to lie!" then you know it could have been an intentional move on his part and you can't use him as a reference again.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:37 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Again, i repeat do not burn the bridge with the former employer.

The reason why, some places let you pick your top three references. In other companies, you have to provide one reference for a number of jobs going back and you may have no choice but to put him down as your direct manager.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Either this manager is completely clueless and doesn't understand that being that honest is going to ruin any chance of the op getting a job, or this is one of those covertly aggressive moves meant to ruin the op.

OP, in response to his email I would simply reply that, "Thanks, but based on your feedback regarding the time I had to take off, I don't think it's likely I'll be getting a job any time soon with this agency." Just see what he comes back with. If he replies that he's genuinely sorry, saying he hadn't thought of that - I would test this out by having a friend call in another week as though she was with a company looking to hire you. If he says,"Well, I'm not going to lie!" then you know it could have been an intentional move on his part and you can't use him as a reference again.

Excellent suggestion. I suspect he's not that clueless, but send that email and see what kind of response you get, than wait a week or so as suggested and have a friend call and see if he goes on again about the car accident and missing work....than you will know for sure.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Again, i repeat do not burn the bridge with the former employer.

The reason why, some places let you pick your top three references. In other companies, you have to provide one reference for a number of jobs going back and you may have no choice but to put him down as your direct manager.
There has to be bridge first in order to burn it.

The OP was given some good suggestions by MPowering1 to test and see if this former boss is going to badmouth them again or not.

They need to find out fairly quickly did this guy just not think when he mentioned the car accident or is he playing games by offering to be a reference and sending emails with job links, only to turn around and than sabotage the OP...stranger things have happened.

If the OP finds this person is going to cost them getting a job(they can kiss any assignments from the temp agency goodbye thanks to the car accident comments) than they need to find someone else to use as a reference.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:21 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
As long as what he says is factual, it's not illegal. There are no laws that prohibit an ex-employer from explaining your employment as long as it's true. If he said something like "Employee XX had a history of sleeping on the job, etc.." and that was untrue and you can prove it, you would have a case against them.
Actually there ARE laws depending on if things were private. If someone is sick with a terminal illness they can say they left due to illness but not name it. Most places stay on the safe side and just confirm duration and position. They have no skin in the game to really praise or slam someone.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:10 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
With regards to privacy it is not covered by HIPPA because you disclosed the information to him. HIPPA is for medical workers to not disclose anything they know about a patient in the course of their job. Once you tell someone such as a friend or boss, he can do what he wants, though it is discouraging.

My guess is he didn't even think about the negative part and just started firing away. He fell victim to the problem many people have of telling everything they know. He probably wasn't malicious in intent, but it was damaging nonetheless.

I would respond to his email saying thanks for thinking of me. And BTW, could you not mention the accident. Explain that its a bad memory for you and you are trying to move past it. You are done with your care and would like to move forward. If he is a decent human being he will empathize with you and not say it again. I wouldn't mention what it might have cost you.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
We just interviewed someone who had a reference that said he lost the last job due to medical reasons. Guess what? We don't care. We do love having a honest reference that said that the guy when employed worked hard, and he hated losing him from his team over a temporary issue.

I swear all the people here who expect a reference to just lie is disturbing. Whatever happened to honesty?

Old 08-08-2014, 12:51 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesfanmb View Post
No, the accident occurred in my own personal car while I was out running errands, 2 days before I was to start my new job. (I did start on time, by the way, albeit on a walker, in a cast, etc.)

I think I remember this OP. IIRC, she was fired from that job because of her many absences. I'm sure the temp agency asked them why they fired her, and they told them the reason.

Last edited by convextech; 08-08-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 12:54 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
Is there any way to get written proof that your previous employer gave you a negative reference? I would go over his/her head....to HR and send a cease and desist letter and attach a copy of the email. Most employers don't give out specific information, just dates of employment due to the possibility of legal issues for retaliation. I think that your old boss should be fired for this and should NOT have been discussing your medical issues, but until you document what happened or speak with an attorney, this person will continue to hinder your chances for new employment. Do not contact the old boss....take it up the chain! Good luck, and I think what happened to you is just terrible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search