Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,453,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
You didn't understand my comment. I am saying that going to the person that promised a good reference but didn't is a bad idea. Going over their head? That's my suggestion. Human resources at large corporations handle reference inquiries for the reasons that I mentioned. No one wants a lawsuit for slander or retaliation.

• Going to HR isn't going over the manager's head.
  • The manager has a right to tell the truth.
  • The fact that companies have stopped giving information due to a fear of lawsuits does not mean that giving out information is illegal.
  • Telling the truth is not slander.
  • Telling the truth is not retaliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 PM

271 posts, read 680,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
OP I thought you said in your other thread that you got offered to start back working at the job you left to come to the job you just got fired from. What happened with that?
I'm still following up on that - my old manager who seemed very enthusiastic for me to come back and work for her again - has not gotten back to me and I did call & leave her a voice mail. No response.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:37 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,468,507 times
Quote:
Most employers don't give out specific information, just dates of employment
they didn't contact just his workplace, they connected one of his references that was his manager. References are to get a better feel of the person they are interviewing...

OP is there a reason you didn't coordinate with your references ahead of time to know how they feel about you and to let them know what you want or do not want shared (if it was personal info)?

Sure, blame the former manager because op didn't get his story straight.. from what he said, the manager didn't say he would give him a "good" reference, just offered to be his reference... and how is that even a bad reference? That he said you were absent? That's part of your work history files. Whether the manager said anything or not, the temp agency would have called up past employer and found out the reason you were fired.

@OP/vikes, not trying to sound harsh, but that's the way it is :S you aren't required to use the manager as a reference, if they want an old manager and you don't want him in the future, you could always try telling them you would prefer not to have them contact him but that makes it worse. At least the manager tried to give a reason why you were absent, it's more than what other people would do. Do you want to apply for a job where they know you are absent just because? Or absent for legitimate reasons? The temp agency at the very least would not even pass this part along to the next company, they might be asking you out of consideration in giving you a physical/strenuous temp jobs. Also done being "doctored" sometimes implies you were on medication which may affect drug tests which they would like to note as well.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,778,107 times
It's too late now, but if the OP had a medical condition(s) why didn't they use the FMLA (family medical leave act)? You wouldn't have earned a salary during the absence, but you would have retained your job and health insurance.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 AM

271 posts, read 680,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
It's too late now, but if the OP had a medical condition(s) why didn't they use the FMLA (family medical leave act)? You wouldn't have earned a salary during the absence, but you would have retained your job and health insurance.
Because you have to be employed for a full year with the current employer before you're even allowed to apply for FMLA, unfortunately. I did look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search