Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,989 times

Advertisements

My job search took a turn for the worst. Yesterday, I had an interview at a Fortune 100 company, I took an assessment test as well as a phone screen. When I arrived, it took the 2 interviewers 10 minutes past the interview time to come through the door. They had their pre-written questions with space to write down my answers. I've done my HW and knew they would be asking around 9 questions. They started asking me why I wanted to work in insurance. "Surely you never wanted to work in insurance right? I mean I've never seen anyone with your major apply for a position at our company."

Afterwards they asked some STAR questions and after answering 2, they said they are holding 2nd round interviews and that they had many more interviews. Lol yeah right. They asked if I had any questions for them. I asked them one question and she asked if I had anymore, I knew at this point that this interview was over. I told them that I had none and walked out without acknowledging them. These slobs did everything they could to make me feel uncomfortable. They literally looked at me like I was begging them for change or something to that effect, and made me feel like I was not qualified.

A few minutes later I went on their career website (taleo) and saw that the position was closed. Basically, they hired someone before I even began my interview.

I'll be switching insurance companies soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 12:07 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I'm sorry, Boosane. There are just some unprofessional interviewers out there. Just shake the dust off your dress shoes and move on to the next company.

I'm also old enough to have seen jerks like that get laid off when their company went bankrupt. I remember passing out food at the food bank when this one awful HR person limped in on crutches. It was a smaller town and he had been rude to a lot of people. No one held the door for him or otherwise offered help. My supervisor even whispered to stay where I was when I went to get the door for him.

He had offended people that much.

In the end, it's their problem, not yours.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:26 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 887,036 times
OP - Any luck in applying to engineering companies? Are you open to relocating?
Frankly, if I were hiring insurance agents and an engineering grad showed up for interviews, I'd be skeptical too because my suspicion is that you'll bolt at the first opportunity. However, the interviewers were unprofessional for wasting your time if they had indeed hired somebody prior to seeing you.
BTW I am an ex-engineer myself (ME).

Old 08-15-2014, 05:30 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
You have been failing interviews repeatedly and have been given feedback interviewers. What's stopping you from going to career development or personal development groups to do 100 practice interviews?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:55 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
I know many people with your major who apply to insurance companies (it's economics, right?), so it is hard for me to imagine them saying that. To me, though, it sounded like they wanted to find out why you wanted the position and used that as a joke and it just riled you up.

Depending on the company, closing the position doesn't necessarily mean "hired". It can mean they closed receiving applications as they already had the people they want to interview, had more than enough resumes coming in, and feel they will get a candidate from that pool. For most of those large companies, an entry level position can get hundreds to thousands of resumes if open for a week or two! I once helped to hire for a position and got 1000 resumes for a part-time position in three days since it was advertised on monster and indeed!

I had a tough interview for insurance sales once. When asked why I wanted to do it, I couldn't think of a reason other than having a job. I agree with move4ward's advice of doing 100 practice interviews and also believe in targeting things that where someone asks you a question like that, you have an answer. To me, it seems like you are throwing spaghetti at a wall and hoping something, anything, sticks. That can lead to rough interviews. I was more successful in my entry level position search when I targeted industries I felt I had a passion for and it led to better interviews than blindly applying to every job that has "entry level" in the description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search