Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kind of thank you note do you use?
Email Only 17 73.91%
Handwritten Only 2 8.70%
Email and handwritten notes 1 4.35%
No notes 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

I remember when I started my career, email were becoming more common, but not everywhere. I typically followed up all of my interviews with an email thank you and a handwritten thank you sent out the next day.

But I haven't done a handwritten thank you note in a very long time. It seems like people have already made decisions before my thank you note would arrive to influence it.

So how do you follow up your interviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 01:28 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Email. If you send a handwritten there is a good chance it will never get to the person and by the time it does they may have already hired someone. Email may still not get to the intended target but at least it is instant.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:49 PM

215 posts, read 260,045 times
I email the hiring manager and CC HR contact.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:50 PM

522 posts, read 721,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
this.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
Interesting! I have never cc-ed the HR person ever! I just send a personal note to everyone I met! If HR was on the list, then I send one their way. But I haven't dealt with HR past the initial screen or scheduling (or offer of course).

Old 08-15-2014, 02:48 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
I had an interview at a card company. Really wondering about the etiquette in that situation. Normally I would send an email to make sure they received it quickly and then follow up with a handwritten card, but in this case would they want one of the cards they make sent to them? I definitely wouldn't send them a competitor's. I'm not an artist, so I can't make one.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I had an interview at a card company. Really wondering about the etiquette in that situation. Normally I would send an email to make sure they received it quickly and then follow up with a handwritten card, but in this case would they want one of the cards they make sent to them? I definitely wouldn't send them a competitor's. I'm not an artist, so I can't make one.
If you want to give out the cards, I'd go to the office and hand them to the receptionist and ask if she could hand them to the interviewers. I always take a few pre-written cards with me to the interview and 30 minutes later, come back and hand them to the receptionist. It's never gotten me hired, though. I usually just stick with email letters now, they hardly make a difference, but are kind of expected...

Old 08-15-2014, 06:09 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,115 times
Good lord.. email! Before you make it to the post office, the company will make a decision.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:29 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Email. This isn't the 80s. Everyone uses email these days as a primary form of written communication. And if it's a large company, snail mail will take even longer to reach its recipient.

There is absolutely nothing unprofessional about sending an email. In a concise message: thank them for their time, re-emphasize how your skills and/or experience meet the job requirements, and say that you look forward to hearing from them on their decision. Done.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:40 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,919 times
Voted email only...By the time I started my first proper job, everyone was using emails so thats what i did and have continued to do. Like you, Jade, I never CC HR, I just email everyone on my lineup that gave me a card or that I can figure out their email address (for some companies, its pretty easy, for some, not so much. I had an interview that no one gave me a card and when I asked the HR/recruiter she said that it was against company policy to give out cards to interviewees but I could send any emails to her and she would forward. I didnt bother and ended up getting the job and subsequently interviewed lots of candidates and none of my colleagues knew of any company policy against giving out cards to candidates..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search