Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:25 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is definitely possible too! I work in the Bay Area. Most of our industries are fairly casual. I remember interviewing someone who showed up to my business casual work environment for an interview with a hoodie. He did not get the job, I was not impressed.

I think, in general, things in the Bay area are more casual than they are in Chicago, but I haven't been there for several years. Of course, when it comes to a hoodie - not that casual!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:19 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Lucky for him to have dodged that bullet. What was he interviewing for - 7th grade?
Sadly that is really common. Similar stuff happened in the early days at Google. I think they were looking for rock climbers. This stuff can continue all the way up to a few hundred employees. Sometimes even up to 1000.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:30 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I always go in with at least a coat on - rarely a tie unless I know it's part of the culture. I wouldn't dress like an employee until I became one.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,080 times
Still wear the suit, no matter what they say about their current environment.

I've interviewed and worked in "casual" environments, and the worst thing that EVER happened from me wearing a suit on an interview was HR telling me, "don't come in here like that again, you'll make us nervous". But you know what? They still hired me.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:09 PM

215 posts, read 260,012 times
OP, I speak as a female. Although I work in the bay area where 'casual' dress code is mentioned predominantly in the interview letter I have ALWAYS worn a shirt, pant and a blazer for interview. I have received offers from all save one interview.One thing I do not do in the bay area is to straighten my naturally wavy hair. In fact I don't even wear makeup!
When I lived in the midwest, I wore a similar combination but kept the colors sober and boring(in addition to wearing dark socks with dark formal footwear). I vaguely recollect the first interview I ever attended in the US where the female interviewer(the 5 men before her didn't make a comment) asked me if I had 'ran all the way to the office'. I quickly learned to style my hair after that.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,928 times
Loafers (shoes) , jeans, and a short sleeve with a vest over it. Dressy Casual 💪

Old 08-19-2014, 09:49 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Actually my goal was discussion in this case. I came up with a happy medium I am comfortable with in the last few years. I used to try to wear a suit all the time, and realized I never felt particularly comfortable. I started downgrading to pencil skirts, blouses and cardigans. In the past few years I switched company types and had to find another transition. I've got my uniform down, and have already gone to successful interviews with the new uniform. I was wondering how other people handled the same thing.

Do all posts need to be for advice on the work forum?
LOL....you're the one who came on here looking for ADVICE.

You asked a question about what to wear, you do understand that is looking for advice.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL....you're the one who came on here looking for ADVICE.

You asked a question about what to wear, you do understand that is looking for advice.
No I wanted to start a discussion about the topic! I asked people to describe their line of work and their outfits.... I don't have any interviews coming up...

Old 09-21-2015, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 553 times
Look up the place. and see if they have a uniform, or a dress code. Ikea has a uniform which is a yellow dress shirt and jeans. wear what they wear. which shows that you are not stuck up or better than the others and that you are a team player.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:05 AM

531 posts, read 1,177,196 times
Female here working in SF.
Accounting/Finance - Banking/Healthcare industry

Interview outfit = business casual

Pencil skirt + blouse + cardigan + flat shoes + light makeup
Pencil skirt + blouse + sweater + flat shoes + light makeup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search