Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 PM

18 posts, read 23,282 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for a position on Monday and was told by the hiring manager that the next step was a 2nd interview. The next day my HR contact called me and told me the team really liked me and to go through a background check and send references. I asked HR about the 2nd interview and he said he "wanted to get me started", felt the 2nd interview wasn't necessary and was trying to do away with it (side question: does HR have that power?). Got a call Wednesday from the hiring manager, telling me that the team liked me and asked for me to come in for a followup discussion. I told him what HR told me about the 2nd interview - then asked him if this was the 2nd interview - and he said something about "yeah well we'd like you to come in and discuss it further," and said something along the lines of "you can guess what this means".

It sounds to me like a job offer but why go to such great lengths to hide it? Is it because my background check/reference check hasn't come back yet? In that case why not just wait to bring me in until after the check comes through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 11:50 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
There are no "veiled" offers when it comes to employment, you are either offered the position or you are not offered the position.
Managers and HR will say things in general so they do not commit to an offer until it is an "official offer".

Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,059 times
it sounds like you got the job though but i wouldn't count my chickens before the eggs hatch.

but it's good...

Old 08-22-2014, 07:30 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
You are a strobg candidate (maybe the top candidate) but they will not make a job offer until after your follow up talk. They make wait until the BI is done, or the offer may be contingent upon a good BI. So no, it is not a job offer, but it is a good sign.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Your background check and references haven't been checked yet. So what it means is that they like you and you probably have the job if they don't find anything hinkey when they check up on you.

If you've lied on your resume or if one of your previous employer does not say good things about you, you won't get the job.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
It means no offer, but so far, so good.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuu View Post
I interviewed for a position on Monday and was told by the hiring manager that the next step was a 2nd interview. The next day my HR contact called me and told me the team really liked me and to go through a background check and send references. I asked HR about the 2nd interview and he said he "wanted to get me started", felt the 2nd interview wasn't necessary and was trying to do away with it (side question: does HR have that power?). Got a call Wednesday from the hiring manager, telling me that the team liked me and asked for me to come in for a followup discussion. I told him what HR told me about the 2nd interview - then asked him if this was the 2nd interview - and he said something about "yeah well we'd like you to come in and discuss it further," and said something along the lines of "you can guess what this means".

It sounds to me like a job offer but why go to such great lengths to hide it? Is it because my background check/reference check hasn't come back yet? In that case why not just wait to bring me in until after the check comes through?

HR would like to think that, but no. Odds are the hiring manager told the HR person that the second interview (either another one with the hiring manager or an interview with his/her manager) wasn't necessary and now HR is coming in acting like they're making these calls. Another reason why I cut them out of the process when hiring for our department.

As others have pointed out this sounds favorable, but keep looking and hopefully you'll hear something next week.

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
HR would like to think that, but no. Odds are the hiring manager told the HR person that the second interview (either another one with the hiring manager or an interview with his/her manager) wasn't necessary and now HR is coming in acting like they're making these calls. Another reason why I cut them out of the process when hiring for our department.

As others have pointed out this sounds favorable, but keep looking and hopefully you'll hear something next week.

Good luck!
Thanks! The way HR phrased it was very confident too, something along the lines of "I don't think its necessary so I'm trying to skip it. But the VP might overrule me!" so I'm assuming I would have had a 2nd interview with the VP of the dept. Do you think it was a mistake to bring up the fact that HR said this, with the HM when he called?

Old 08-22-2014, 12:58 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
You have a job offer when and only when there is a signed offer, until then feel good about yourself but by no means put in your 2 weeks.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
You have a job offer when and only when there is a signed offer, until then feel good about yourself but by no means put in your 2 weeks.
Of course, I should've phrased it differently. What I meant to say is that I'm entry level so my previous dealings with job offers was just a phone call, and I've never encountered a situation where I was asked to come in for a "discussion". Just looking for people who have had similar encounters, and if I should expect to discuss salary at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search