Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Do you ever see job descriptions looking for something that is impossible? Not long ago I was laughing with a former colleague that was looking for 8-10 years of experience for a software application developed by a company that has only been in business for 8 years, the only people who would have qualified were the creators. Lol!

Another required a certification that was just created in the previous 90 days.

How do companies expect to find these unicorns? Do you come across similar ridiculous qualifications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
they ask for unicorns bek they can, remember those unions you told to go take a hike?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I don't want a unicorn, I want a good qualified experienced candidate that can legally do the job I am willing to pay them to do.
It is harder than you think to find someone who has the legal requirements and qualifications we need.
I will keep looking though but the last one took me almost a year to find.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:28 PM

435 posts, read 635,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Do you ever see job descriptions looking for something that is impossible? Not long ago I was laughing with a former colleague that was looking for 8-10 years of experience for a software application developed by a company that has only been in business for 8 years, the only people who would have qualified were the creators. Lol!

Another required a certification that was just created in the previous 90 days.

How do companies expect to find these unicorns? Do you come across similar ridiculous qualifications?
This is because many hiring managers are not that bright.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:40 PM

741 posts, read 915,185 times
Part of the problem is that the economic metabolism right now is weak across the board, which means employers can afford to be hugely discriminating and get perfect fits. In years past, you strove for 'adequate'.

These days, you can wait for the unicorn to come along, especially if its a high paying job.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:42 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Are too many employers looking for unicorns?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they ask for unicorns bek they can...
^That's why...

/thread

Old 08-23-2014, 02:11 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Ran into this when I was looking for a sales job last year. One place wanted aggressive hunters with a background in accounting to sell software. Sales and accounting is like trying to mix oil & water. When I looked up some of the people in their sales department I noticed that the majority were accounting majors from BYU and all had done overseas missions, so they had been well trained in sales. This place was looking for unicorns, but luckily they knew where to find them.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Maybe they only appear to be looking for unicorns? Could be that they already have one ideal candidate for the job and the only remaining obstacle to hiring that candidate is a corporate/legal requirement to advertise open positions.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:54 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,317 times
Saw an ad for a dishwasher recently, they wanted only applicants with 3 years experience. So I guess they wanted someone who cannot advance beyond dishwasher in 3 years. Go figure....

Old 08-23-2014, 03:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Question: If a company is not desperate to make a new hire, what reason would you give that they should not be looking for Unicorns? They have time to wait for the right applicant. They know there is one out there looking for the job they have available.

Advantages of waiting for the Unicorn.

1: The Unicorn will be able to come up to speed on the job quickly, while training someone else, can take as much as a year and sometimes more.

2: They save a lot of money that would be required to train a non Unicorn. It is disruptive to a company, to get the non Unicorn trained, and that disruption costs them money.

As long as there are people that are fully qualified and trained for the job they have available, only a fool would not be looking for the perfect match.

Quote:
Saw an ad for a dishwasher recently, they wanted only applicants with 3 years experience. So I guess they wanted someone who cannot advance beyond dishwasher in 3 years. Go figure....
A wise businessman/woman. Hire someone that is not a professional dishwasher, and they will quit as soon as they can find another job. Hire someone with 3 years experience, and you may very well hire someone that will remain with you for a long period of time, and that alone saves you a lot of money and aggravation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search