Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: F@F without phone conversation first. Multiple choice.
I was invited for F2F, but was not offered a position. Complete waste of time. 6 37.50%
I was invited for F2F was offered a position, accepted. I glad I did. 8 50.00%
I was invited for F2F was, offered a position, accepted. I am not happy with my choice. 2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 04:23 PM

275 posts, read 743,168 times

Advertisements

That was metaphor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 08:11 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier12 View Post

Once again for those, who have difficulty understanding what I wrote, I am not against interview, but if my resume says I am accountant, do not call me for F2F interview just to tell me you need someone with Space Shuttle experience or know Mandarin, you could have found out about it via phone or email.

Solid point.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:56 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
I understand what the OP is getting at. He's talking about employers who waste time calling people in for positions where the requirements are nowhere to be found on their resume. If the employer took the time to read the resume, then they would know who to call in for an interview.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
Once again for those, who have difficulty understanding what I wrote, I am not against interview, but if my resume says I am accountant, do not call me for F2F interview just to tell me you need someone with Space Shuttle experience or know Mandarin, you could have found out about it via phone or email.
Quote:
I understand what the OP is getting at. He's talking about employers who waste time calling people in for positions where the requirements are nowhere to be found on their resume. If the employer took the time to read the resume, then they would know who to call in for an interview.
Any decent HR or HM is going to eliminate anyone that does not show they have the necessary education and experience to meet the requirements of the job. They are going to actually interview only maybe 5 people out of a stack of applicants. The computer, is going to eliminate those do not have the education and experience to fill the job. Then the humans are going over what is left, and chose 3 to 5 for a personal interview.

If they find out early in the Interview that you will not be the one hired, they need a quick way to end the interview. At that point they may ask how well you speak Mandarin, Russian, or some other foreign language. When it is apparent that you will not fit in for the job, a quick way to get rid of you and call the interview to an end, and that is to ask a question out of left field that you plainly cannot answer, and then tell you that you not meeting this requirement, are no longer in consideration. It is a quick way to get rid of an unqualified applicant, in a quick easy manner.

If you keep getting these type of questions guaranteed to end the interview, you need to get someone to help you figure out why you keep blowing interviews.

The best people, do not get blown off this way. If you keep getting blown off, then the problem is you and how/what you appear to be in interviews. You need to accept the fact, you are blowing interviews, find out why, and change your ways that keep you from getting a job.

The attitude and personality that I see those that are blowing interview after interview on these threads, and not able to get a job, shows up and it is a wonder some of those people will ever get a decent job. If they don't change, they won't.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 AM

275 posts, read 743,168 times
Thank you for your opinions folks.

I appreciate you share ideas how to improve chances and what to do(or do not). They sound reasonable, but there are so many things in the play, that nobody know what and why worked or did not.

I am pretty sure I was eliminated after "20 seconds" several times; we would meet, I would give my business card(card with my contact info) and hear back concerned "Oh, your card is better, than mine..." and I am talking with owner or C-level and my card is nothing special. I think professional look combined with card/resume make them think I am too expensive. And I agree, that sometimes it is just the way how to formulate the reason why you are not good fit "You do not speak Mandarin and never been Formula1 pilot? Well, good luck."

Funny part, I was offered compensation for coming for interviews and if occasion, when I drove 4 hrs one may be justified(gas, tolls), another time I was offered $100 for "coming on weekend." Opening was half an hour from my house. We fought for awhile and I finally said "Ok, I am going to accept this check and I would give it back to you for meeting me on weekend." Person smiled, agreed, that that made sense and tried to give me some freebies. Chinese people.

It seems, like hiring activity is trying to pick up, at least I (hope) see increase, so best of luck to all seekers as well as to those, who is on the opposite end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search