Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

WDJ, you're probably right. And I'm sure to hear him tell it, his marketing campaign is working quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:10 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebolt126 View Post
Where I live, there are tons of engineering jobs that don't even require anything above a high school degree.
This surprises me. You can't even take the PE Exam unless you've graduated from an ABET accredited school with a BS. Now granted the PE is only required for Civil Engineers but I think most other sectors like to see that you have at least passed the FE Exam which again, you can't take unless you've graduated from an ABET accredited college or university.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Computer Science is not engineering
and I bet his GPA is way below 3.0

Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM

391 posts, read 424,546 times
and MIS is neither, and not even close... If his bachelor's is really in MIS then this article is completely disingenuous.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:34 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzic072014 View Post
only way you find a decent job is in the goverment , take Civil service exams, a job will be there forever! can't depend on private section
Do they still give exams? I thought those went away long ago. It's all about veteran preference, set asides, quotas, and chronyism, not qualifications. But you're right: get on that tit if you can.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:04 AM

555 posts, read 803,832 times
Funny headline. The English majors I know are all gainfully employed -- some of them as developers in the tech industry.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:43 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I brought MIS into the discussion because the author of the article (Casey Ark) claims he has an engineering degree, but he doesn't. In the comments on the Washington Post, someone looked up the author's LinkedIn Profile:

Casey Ark | LinkedIn

Under "Education" he lists:

The author absolutely did NOT graduate with either an engineering degree or a computer science degree. He graduated with a business degree. If the author thinks that his MIS background is equivalent to an engineering or CS degree, then he doesn't understand the field at all.
Just wanted to repost this in case anyone missed it. Turns out the author is flat-out lying, or seriously bending the truth at best.

So this sob story is click-bait pandering to the "I didn't receive my job lol!!!!!1!1ONE" crowd that also serves as marketing for his web design firm.

Also this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It appears he can't keep his stories straight, as you'll find in this article where he wrote:

You can find more of his writing here.
Good job guys for trying to expose this fraud. Too bad the rest of the world will simply agree with the outrageous headline and move on. This guy is pretty unethical, and that's putting it lightly.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:16 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Do they still give exams? I thought those went away long ago. It's all about veteran preference, set asides, quotas, and chronyism, not qualifications. But you're right: get on that tit if you can.
Eh not really.

Tests vary by profession. In CT most positions in local government require them. If you say take one for a position of Clerk that stays for anything of a clerk. So a clerk in a water department, mayors office etc. Some will keep you on file for a few years so even if you don't get it you might still qualify if things do not work out.

The first part of one I took was typing. I think maybe out of 20 one failed. But then the second part is two weeks later. That one is much more to the position. We are talking undergraduate to graduate level questions. They might interview the top three or so but like I said for anyone that gets or denies it people get bumped up.

The other thing is the notices look a tad odd. You might think you received jury duty instead! In some ways it is kinda a nice thing because even if it is a half day just the fact that it can stay in a system for a few years is pretty good.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:26 AM

322 posts, read 384,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I still wonder about the eventually development of computer science as a discipline. Is it engineering or something else?

I started out as an engineer. My degree is in fact Electrical Engineer. However I was early into the computer era both as a tool and a component. We designed the computers and the language and the software tools. I actually own the principal patents for controlling a printer with a computer...which actually dates to the late 1960s.

That shop was virtually entirely staffed with engineers generally digital logic people. That lead to a vast fondness for bit banging in a way seldom done today.

As the art progressed the wonders of such things as high level languages and programming constructs came to the for. And on to the present day with rather abstract languages driving APIs...a crutch so you don't really need to know how it works.

And that may be the dividing line...the abstract practitioner of programming versus a software engineer who understands how and why it works.

I am inclined to consider most IT and CS folk as non engineers. The may well be making a fine contribution to the art but they do not actually get to the nuts and bolts of how it all works and how to make it better...they work at a higher level of abstraction and use the computer and its languages as a tool to do something else in a better manner.
Excellent post.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:19 PM

104 posts, read 95,597 times
MPowering is absolutely right here - I went back and read the original article, and you'll notice the comments there are pretty angry as well.

The original title of the author's post was "I studied Engineering...", which was then "corrected" by the Washington Post to "I studied computer science...", which still isn't truthful - he studied MIS, not CS.

He states in the article that "I felt like the job market was mine for the taking. I was very, very wrong", but then, as MPowering points out, graduated with two job offers he chose to forsake in favor of starting his own web design company. His claim that he "still can't find a job" is a flat-out lie.

WashPo should take this down, and Penn State deserves an apology - he's trashing the school for not giving him the kind of education he thinks he should have gotten, but he's lying left and right and is discouraging people from a. Going into STEM fields and b. Going to PSU. This is pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search